Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Truck died on me!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Truck died on me!

Alright so the other I was driving in my 01, had been driving around for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden the truck started almost like cutting out, so I pulled off into a subdivision and was going about 25mph and the symptoms got even worse. Running about 1500rpm then drop to 500 and then it eventually died on me. I Waited about 15-20 minutes on the side of the road started back up and drove it home (was only a mile or 2 away). I need some guidance here on where to look as I just replaced the fuel filter, running 12-13 psi idle fp pressure 8 WOT not the best fp but it shouldn’t be enough to kill a vp pump right? Any help will be appreciated!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins sport, engine transmission all stock other than bhaf

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Truck died on me!

VPs are very picky about fuel, How many miles are on it? Every VP truck I had I’d immediately put a fass system and mechanical fuel gauge on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cumminsdieselfreak; 06-21-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add info.
    2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Truck died on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chitty86 View Post
    Alright so the other I was driving in my 01, had been driving around for about 30 minutes and all of a sudden the truck started almost like cutting out, so I pulled off into a subdivision and was going about 25mph and the symptoms got even worse. Running about 1500rpm then drop to 500 and then it eventually died on me. I Waited about 15-20 minutes on the side of the road started back up and drove it home (was only a mile or 2 away). I need some guidance here on where to look as I just replaced the fuel filter, running 12-13 psi idle fp pressure 8 WOT not the best fp but it shouldn’t be enough to kill a vp pump right? Any help will be appreciated!

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 cummins sport, engine transmission all stock other than bhaf
    Check the lift pump. It's on the back of the filter housing. I had 4 of them go bad on my 01

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

213k on the truck not sure how much is on the vp pump as I’ve had the truck for a year now. The stock carter lp still works as when I bump the starter it kicks on for about 30 seconds, maybe the pressure is just getting weaker?

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

213k on the truck not sure how much is on the vp pump as I’ve had the truck for a year now. The stock carter lp still works as when I bump the starter it kicks on for about 30 seconds, maybe the pressure is just getting weaker?
    Just because it's running, doesn't mean it's pumping. As I recall, it has a plastic impeller on it. Check @Geno's Garage for a Cummins pump. It very well could be a carter

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

It says carter on the side of the pump, my fuel pressure gauge is showing it’s pumping fuel unless it’s broke but it shouldn’t be since it’s a few weeks old.

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

It says carter on the side of the pump, my fuel pressure gauge is showing it’s pumping fuel unless it’s broke but it shouldn’t be since it’s a few weeks old.
    Can you see the rail pressure? It will need a tuner or a higher level scan tool like Autoenginuity.

9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Would and edge insight CTS2 work?

That’s all I can get my hands on.

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Would and edge insight CTS2 work?

That’s all I can get my hands on.
    I believe the CTS can do it

11. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I had almost the same thing happen to me last month, I was able to limp it a mile home since my sump forced enough fuel to the pump to keep it from dying. It sounds like your pump is overheating from lack of fuel supply.

I think autozone or pepboys will rent you a scanner tool, if you do read the codes and get p0216 dont panic just yet. Replace your lift pump and see if it goes away. Though if you have been running a stock lp that long you certainly are on borrowed time.