Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How close is close for values?

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: How close is close for values?

Only 36000 miles. She is a tow queen. Use to tow my travel trailer and the last trip 2 weeks ago was painful. Had to give it throttle to roll the trailer off the stones, first time for that.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bMs...w?usp=drivesdk
    Found my last data log. I also graphed some of the data and had converted the bar pressure readings to psi for the graphs while also graphing vs throttle position. I hope you guys can help. If not then i go to the dealer mode and start throwing parts.

Line 60. You only made 18psi of boost at 75% throttle while your actual & commanded rail pressures were well within spec. So I'll ask the same question I asked in your other threads on this issue. Have you logged the VGT function of the turbo to determine if the vanes are moving?

Did you ever address the U0059 CANBUS code?

5 Days Ago
    cwendel

Basic Member

Join DateMar 2018LocationjerseyPosts39Truck2013 Ram 2500 Bighorn - white
    Local Date06-21-2019Local Time04:24 PM

Re: Turbo cleaning?

Well, i am now leaning toward turbo issues. VGT works according to the sensors but there is not much boost. Well it makes boost but the lag is terrible. I found the exhaust boost sensor to read a psi higher than barometric pressure with the engine off. I pulled the sensor and found either fuel or oil on the sensor. Egr crossover has no oil on it, so i think the turbo is gone. No codes, still. Gotta pull the downpipe to check but i dont think fuel is in the exhaust.

0 Comment(s)

You stated here that you make boost but with terrible lag. This is indicative of poor/no VGT function. If you unplug the VGT actuator on the turbo, it will spool incredibly slow and not make full boost.

3. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Code is gone. As i said before, that code has nothing to do with the current problem. It just needed time to clear the memory. I looked at the VGT and according to the computer the commanded amounts matched the actual amounts. Short of pulling the turbo and manually moving the vanes, the system says they are working. I cleaned the air valve as it was pretty crudded up, not as bad as the map sensor but still pretty crappy for low miles. Everything is plugged in, and connected as it should be. I have to pull the down pipe but have had so much rain i have not been able to do much. What time i did have was to check sensor readings.
    I was looking for what the exhaust pressure sensor should ohm at because if it is not reading fast enough or smooth enough, it could be tripping up the system as the system corrects. That would be kinda signaled by a high rest reading. The same would happen if the sensor had an issue when hot. But, the check for the sensor is for when the system is cold. I also had to search for the FCA values but it specs out until you tap it. Then the values jump to higher resistance, which does not make much sense for a solenoid to do. A solenoid should have the same resistance regardless.

4. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

DPF/SCR pressure values aren't going to cause you to lose 10lbs of boost out of the system though.

If you have access to a smoke machine, smoke the intake tract and see if you're not sealed somewhere. Short of that, you either have a bad turbo (unlikely at 36k), you have a faulty actuator, or you have major computer issues causing your sensor readings to be all over the place.

Alternatively, run a new datalog and log Accel. Pedal Position, Boost Pressure Actual & Desired, RPM Actual, and VGT Position Actual & Desired and hit it with a WOT pull from a dead hit

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So went over the intake plumbing and reset all of the pipes. Started the truck and there was a P0254. Made sense as i was checking it the other day. Shut down, reset the plug cleared the code along with resetting the throttle valve plug and took it for a drive and data logged. Truck was way better but could only do log pulls while in traffic. No more off idle rattle. Everything was good until i let off and it sounded like a pop off valve. No sign of whose or pipe leaks. When i backed it up to the house when coming home, sounded like it was wanting more fuel than it was getting.

I had cleaned the throttle valve and the EGR valve a few days ago. Here are the sensor values. I think either the VGT is not really where it thinks it is or the FCA is causing issues.

Gauges_Data 066219.pdf

7. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I'll review that after my meeting. But your values look like a shotgun blast.

Do you have that log in a .xls file vs a PDF?

8. Thanks cwendel thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Will try and run a new log. The traffic kept me from doing much of anything. Also think the boot to the intercooler blew loose. The pipe seems to be a little short and the boot did not fit all the way down. Fixed that yesterday and need to rerun the truck with a new data log. Finally got better software so i will post when done. Should be in the next day or two because of weather and bennies.

10. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Okay here is the current log. I replaced 3 intake clamps on the intercooler and the the turbo outlet because the hoses seemed to have moved. I also repositioned the air horn clamp because i was getting noise. This log run, the truck was quieter than before. I was also only able to get up to 55 mph before i had to let out. The shift into 5 dropped the boost on the end of the log. Also, my program did not log the commanded position correctly and i have a call in to get that fixed. Other logs showed the two to follow each other. Having trouble uploading the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8t...w?usp=drivesdk

I added the link to the xls file.
    I think there may be a boost leak now at the horn but i only get 31 psi now. Not sure anymore and it is getting too hot to work outside.

11. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cwendel View Post
    Okay here is the current log. I replaced 3 intake clamps on the intercooler and the the turbo outlet because the hoses seemed to have moved. I also repositioned the air horn clamp because i was getting noise. This log run, the truck was quieter than before. I was also only able to get up to 55 mph before i had to let out. The shift into 5 dropped the boost on the end of the log. Also, my program did not log the commanded position correctly and i have a call in to get that fixed. Other logs showed the two to follow each other. Having trouble uploading the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z8t...w?usp=drivesdk

I added the link to the xls file.
    I think there may be a boost leak now at the horn but i only get 31 psi now. Not sure anymore and it is getting too hot to work outside.

Your link is restricted access. Sorry, as much as I don't mind helping, I don't give out my email address.

31psi is overboosting. 28psi is stock max. But various factors can come into play to cause an overpressure situation.

12. Thanks cwendel thanked for this post
    Likes cwendel liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

No problem. I tried to upload the csv file or the xls file but the upload failed so i tried the link. If that is stock, then my dash gauge must be way off because the truck has run up to max on the gauge while towing and going up hills. I think the problem may have been solved then. Fuel knock is almost gone. Seems the learned fuel changes dont like to go away and it has a slight fuel knock. But no more rattle off idle. Thank you for all your help.
    I also was able to turn on the .xls file to allow others to see it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast