Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Vibration Above 62 MPH

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Ahhh Another lifted truck.

When you lifted the truck that high, it changes the angle of the drive shaft. This causes extra stress on the U-Joints. You may want to look there.

I have been an anti lift advocate. The older members know why. Being an engineer, it's left a lot of bad things in my mind.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Likes SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Ahhh Another lifted truck.

When you lifted the truck that high, it changes the angle of the drive shaft. This causes extra stress on the U-Joints. You may want to look there.

I have been an anti lift advocate. The older members know why. Being an engineer, it's left a lot of bad things in my mind.
    It was doing it prior to the lift. Had the lift on for a week now. Been doing it for 3 months. Pinion angles are spot on.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaoticlife71 View Post
    It was doing it prior to the lift. Had the lift on for a week now. Been doing it for 3 months. Pinion angles are spot on.

OK Cool. A Lot of experience and wisdom drove my opinion. I'd still take a close look there.

Is there any cupping on the rear tires? If so rotate the tires. Then it will move to the front for a while.

Not sure what the thread pitch is all about.

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    OK Cool. A Lot of experience and wisdom drove my opinion. I'd still take a close look there.

Is there any cupping on the rear tires? If so rotate the tires. Then it will move to the front for a while.

Not sure what the thread pitch is all about.
    Yes sir I get ya on the personal experience. Had my share of good and bad with lifted trucks. I will definitely look at it all. The tires are wearing perfect so I'm still scratching my head on this one. Thought it may have been the install of the front bumper because that was the time frame it has been on but the alignment was good before the lift and after lift and no steering wheel shake at all. Maybe the added weight of the 65 gallon drag up tank/toolbox? But that was installed after it had started so doesnt seem likely. The aftermarket wheels were purchased after it had started as well. So had a set of 20x12 wheels(no vibration with them just didnt like that they stuck out so far with a -44 offset) on then went back to stock wheels with new 35's shop told me one of the tires was out of round so went with a new set of Yokohama 35's and shop then said it must be wheel bearing and seal and of course it was still there afterwards. Balanced, balanced and then Re-balanced. Truck is not a daily driver as I have a company truck and when I pull stuff I use my 2nd gen dually so it's more of a weekend cruiser but cant stand the vibration when we do take her on a road trip....

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes sir I get ya on the personal experience. Had my share of good and bad with lifted trucks. I will definitely look at it all. The tires are wearing perfect so I'm still scratching my head on this one. Thought it may have been the install of the front bumper because that was the time frame it has been on but the alignment was good before the lift and after lift and no steering wheel shake at all. Maybe the added weight of the 65 gallon drag up tank/toolbox? But that was installed after it had started so doesnt seem likely. The aftermarket wheels were purchased after it had started as well. So had a set of 20x12 wheels(no vibration with them just didnt like that they stuck out so far with a -44 offset) on then went back to stock wheels with new 35's shop told me one of the tires was out of round so went with a new set of Yokohama 35's and shop then said it must be wheel bearing and seal and of course it was still there afterwards. Balanced, balanced and then Re-balanced. Truck is not a daily driver as I have a company truck and when I pull stuff I use my 2nd gen dually so it's more of a weekend cruiser but cant stand the vibration when we do take her on a road trip....

Ultra low offset wheels are hell on the hub bearings.
    Fuel wheels are not bore matched to the hubs & require hub centric rings to be installed. This is non-negotiable.
    Your tires may still be the issue.

I would strongly suggest that you ring those Fuels and have balance beads put in and see if the problem remains.

7. Likes SyN liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Ultra low offset wheels are hell on the hub bearings.
    Fuel wheels are not bore matched to the hubs & require hub centric rings to be installed. This is non-negotiable.
    Your tires may still be the issue.

I would strongly suggest that you ring those Fuels and have balance beads put in and see if the problem remains.
    Yes sir! I will have the shop order hub centric rings and have them get some beads in there. But why would it have been doing it with the stocks? Any idea there?

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Yes sir! I will have the shop order hub centric rings and have them get some beads in there. But why would it have been doing it with the stocks? Any idea there?

Hmmm, solid point. Apologize I missed that. You may want to have the hub bearings looked at while the wheels are off next time. Ultimately, if it spins, rule it out!

10. Thanks kaoticlife71 thanked for this post
    Likes kaoticlife71 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Yokohama's were a good choice. Wear like iron. I put 285's (33") on my 03. Only when towing on steep hills do I have Minor issues. On some country hilly back roads. Can't go too fast and I have heating issues. Even with the electric fans roaring away. 210-220* It's because I need to use lower gears. But I deal with it.

My front is lifted 1". That doesn't change my angle as the chassis rotates on the rears. Can't do much with RWD. Last night was the first time in 6 years I had some difficulty with backing up, not having a 4 X 4. But I got it.

If this was going on before the lift, you may want to drope the shaft and examine all the cups. One may be bad.

12. Thanks kaoticlife71 thanked for this post
    Likes kaoticlife71, SyN liked this post