Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 2012 A/C Expansion Valve Lessons Learned

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 A/C Expansion Valve Lessons Learned

Been working on my ac for the past week, had issues with low and high side pressures. Thought I was over/under charging the system...weird thing is the ac clutch stopped cycling and operated normal at 15 psi low side with 150 high side, that when I knew something was up with the expansion valve.

Apparently no parts store keeps that in stock for our trucks so that sucked, ordered it and when it came in I went to install it, it one didn't fit at all and two didn't look like the part i took off. I researched the same part for a 2013 and wa-la its what I have. Dodge says that my 2012 to 2018 uses the same part.

I wish parts stores would spend a little more on their websites to denote early year/ mid year because this is wasting my time and now my ac system is opened up and its raining outside LOL.

Learn from me folks and save yourself the headache.

Thanks

2012 RAM 3500 CCLB, G56, South Bend DD Ceramic, Deletes, MM3 with DRD Tunes, Headstuds, 4" Exhaust, 8" Mcgaughy's Long Arm Lift, 22.5 alcoas, 3.42 Gears, Recon Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light.

2008 RAM 3500 Mega, 68RFE, Leveling Kit, 35" Comforsers, Deletes, Headstuds, Smarty JR67 Pre-Emissions Law, Edge Insight, Airbags, AFE intake, 5" Exhaust.

2. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV, Skywrench thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, Clutch, Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 A/C Expansion Valve Lessons Learned

Quote Originally Posted by Supergf350 View Post
    Been working on my ac for the past week, had issues with low and high side pressures. Thought I was over/under charging the system...weird thing is the ac clutch stopped cycling and operated normal at 15 psi low side with 150 high side, that when I knew something was up with the expansion valve.

Apparently no parts store keeps that in stock for our trucks so that sucked, ordered it and when it came in I went to install it, it one didn't fit at all and two didn't look like the part i took off. I researched the same part for a 2013 and wa-la its what I have. Dodge says that my 2012 to 2018 uses the same part.

I wish parts stores would spend a little more on their websites to denote early year/ mid year because this is wasting my time and now my ac system is opened up and its raining outside LOL.

Learn from me folks and save yourself the headache.

Thanks
    Sorry you're going through this. Thanks for posting for the rest of us. Also having a '12 I really appreciate it.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

4. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Sorry you're going through this. Thanks for posting for the rest of us. Also having a '12 I really appreciate it.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    No problem. The point of this forum is to share knowledge and experience and bring like minded people together.

2012 RAM 3500 CCLB, G56, South Bend DD Ceramic, Deletes, MM3 with DRD Tunes, Headstuds, 4" Exhaust, 8" Mcgaughy's Long Arm Lift, 22.5 alcoas, 3.42 Gears, Recon Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light.

2008 RAM 3500 Mega, 68RFE, Leveling Kit, 35" Comforsers, Deletes, Headstuds, Smarty JR67 Pre-Emissions Law, Edge Insight, Airbags, AFE intake, 5" Exhaust.

6. Likes Power247, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Update: all fixed and running.

New AC expansion valve worked like a champ and pressures are where theyre supposed to be.

Spent 15$ at autozone for it vs dealer wanted 147$. Even if it fails next season the price of a new one with 4 cans of freon still only equates to 1/3 the price of the dealer.

8. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Supergf350 View Post
    Update: all fixed and running.

New AC expansion valve worked like a champ and pressures are where theyre supposed to be.

Spent 15$ at autozone for it vs dealer wanted 147$. Even if it fails next season the price of a new one with 4 cans of freon still only equates to 1/3 the price of the dealer.
    Good deal man, glad you got it all sorted!

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

4th gens have an expansion valve? I have an orifice tube

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    4th gens have an expansion valve? I have an orifice tube
    yes in 2010 they switched to an expansion valve and i guess switched the style of part in 2012. i like expansion valve due to them being variable. no more going warm at idle. my 08 has an orifice tube, way more expensive to change out and is only one flow rate, thats why you get a hiss when shutting down.