Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Class A CDL

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Class A CDL

Does anyone have their Class A CDL or Class A NonCDL for towing with their dually's.

I had a run in with dot two years back and trying to get 100% legal now.

Dot is a pain here in PA.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

4. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Class A CDL

Yea I have read over that many times.

Most times it come down to what trooper got you and the interpretation of the law.

Looking for some others to chime in that have their Class A or trying to get their Class A.

Anymore 90% of dually's out there pulling goose-necks or 5th wheels should have a Class A according to the law.

6. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So you need to consider where you plan on pulling through. If you're pulling through AZ, and DPS is doing one of their operations, you stand a like 98% chance of getting pulled over if you're hotshotting.

I would tell you to bite the bullet and get the Class A either way if you aren't weight compliant with your license.

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    So you need to consider where you plan on pulling through. If you're pulling through AZ, and DPS is doing one of their operations, you stand a like 98% chance of getting pulled over if you're hotshotting.

I would tell you to bite the bullet and get the Class A either way if you aren't weight compliant with your license.
    Ya I'm leaning towards Class A CDL with Air Brake Restriction. My truck has a gvwr 14,000 and my horse trailer has a gvwr 16,600. So that puts me well over the 26,001 mark. I also have a class 8 weight sticker on my truck. All they want is lots of money.

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    Ya I'm leaning towards Class A CDL with Air Brake Restriction. My truck has a gvwr 14,000 and my horse trailer has a gvwr 16,600. So that puts me well over the 26,001 mark. I also have a class 8 weight sticker on my truck. All they want is lots of money.
    If you can get a non-commercial (unless you need commercial) do that. Otherwise, yeah, just gotta chalk it up as a loss to save your hide in the long run.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    If you can get a non-commercial (unless you need commercial) do that. Otherwise, yeah, just gotta chalk it up as a loss to save your hide in the long run.
    My trailer has at least 100K on it. It's an 05. While I towed Non Commercial, (Even though it really was) I never had a problem. I've been in all 48 with that wagon too. I carried a commercial Class A with air brakes and Bus for years. Never even asked about it. Ohio is the worst. I got award stickers for the wagon. The consensus is if you're not commercial, you don't need it. Just don't exceed the GVW. (I won't go there either) I finally dropped it because I was tired of getting physicals every year for something I didn't need. Just don't drive stupid is what on PA trooper told me on a roadside check. But things have changed.

Part of the battle is just keeping your hauler wagon in good shape. Those guys don't like see junk. Also, if hauling, make sure you have your load strapped down good. The idea is to keep the load on the trailer if it ever breaks loose.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Two years ago I managed to get out of what should have been about $4200 in fines hauling a load of Christmas Trees for my dad. Ever since then I have been a little gun shy. I also know dot has the power to shut you down at a check point if they want. I figure a cdl will be a fall back plan if money gets tight.

16. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

CDL class A been truckin for about 4 years legally. Farm permit before that. Scale houses are my worst enemy. Keep your rig in good shape, Drive like you got sense and the diesel weasels leave you alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I have my Class A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at: