Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Class A CDL

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Class A CDL

Are you guys "air brake restricted"? Or did you take your test in a semi?

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

2. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Booch035 View Post
    I have my air brake endorsement. To my knowledge they can just put an air brake restriction on your license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Two years ago I managed to get out of what should have been about $4200 in fines hauling a load of Christmas Trees for my dad. Ever since then I have been a little gun shy. I also know dot has the power to shut you down at a check point if they want. I figure a cdl will be a fall back plan if money gets tight.
    I can see where they could have questioned you. It was the load. They usually don't bother big campers or single car trailers. I can put 2 small cars on my trailer, but they have to be old cars. I never got bothered with loads like that. I pulled 15K# out of long island once. But the cops are too busy to bother with that.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

5. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #14
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I tested in a dumptruck with a trailer, air brakes and manual shift. Now a days if you test in a automatic I think they restrict you to drive only automatics. And I know if you don’t take the air breaks test for your permit test then you can’t drive a air break vehicle. Air over hydraulic breaks is a different ball game I don’t know those rules.

7. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Had a class 3 before the CDL came out.

It"s been some time.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

I have had a Class-A CDL for 15 years and used to drive OTR. As far as driving a DRW with trailer you should not have any issues unless you are hauling commercial with DOT numbers on your rig. Most of the scale houses dont want you in there unless you are a CMV. As far as pulling a 5th wheel TT the only state I heard of checking weights on a private owned vehicle with camper is SD. As far as what DL you need will depend on your home state.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

11. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northstarfire0693 View Post
    I have had a Class-A CDL for 15 years and used to drive OTR. As far as driving a DRW with trailer you should not have any issues unless you are hauling commercial with DOT numbers on your rig. Most of the scale houses dont want you in there unless you are a CMV. As far as pulling a 5th wheel TT the only state I heard of checking weights on a private owned vehicle with camper is SD. As far as what DL you need will depend on your home state.
    Yea I have heard it can be very different state to state. I know PA and TX its GVWR of truck + GVWR of trailer is over 26,001lb you need a Class A. Either commercial or non.

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    I have my Class A.

Same here, full class A with tanker,doubles and trips, no haz.

I have had it for years.

2016 Ram 2500 CCSB 4X4 ,Cat fuel filter delete with water seperator. Thuren suspension
    with Fox IFP shocks, thuren sway bar, rear track bar and front track bar, Warn 12k winch , custom winch mount, REVMAX trans pan,HD valve body and thermal bypas. Leer truck topper,Exotic head studs, Engine enhancements by the cummins whisper.

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

It's a crap shoot. I've had my Class A with all endorsements other than hazmat for 25 years, but drove pre-CDL requirement for 6 years before that. I own a company that has three class 8 trucks, a class 7 truck, and a few one ton pickups. We primarily haul for our lumber/building materials/equipment rental business.

If you're in a state that requires a Class A license for anything over 26K you really have no choice if that's your state of registration. If your state doesn't require a non-commercial Class A license you are still good to move through states that do require it, but you can't stay there for long.

TX and PA have a non-commercial Class A and B available. It can not be used for commercial use and also doesn't require a medical. You just better not get caught hauling anything for your "uncle"

Getting an airbrake exempt Class A CDL is fine if you never plan on driving an airbrake class A truck. The only problem is that you are still required to have a medical done. Then, if you go out for hire you honestly should have a USDOT number and commercial insurance.

17. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    It's a crap shoot. I've had my Class A with all endorsements other than hazmat for 25 years, but drove pre-CDL requirement for 6 years before that. I own a company that has three class 8 trucks, a class 7 truck, and a few one ton pickups. We primarily haul for our lumber/building materials/equipment rental business.

If you're in a state that requires a Class A license for anything over 26K you really have no choice if that's your state of registration. If your state doesn't require a non-commercial Class A license you are still good to move through states that do require it, but you can't stay there for long.

TX and PA have a non-commercial Class A and B available. It can not be used for commercial use and also doesn't require a medical. You just better not get caught hauling anything for your "uncle"

Getting an airbrake exempt Class A CDL is fine if you never plan on driving an airbrake class A truck. The only problem is that you are still required to have a medical done. Then, if you go out for hire you honestly should have a USDOT number and commercial insurance.
    If you fall under excepted interstate you can get away with no medical.

19. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast