Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  38
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEF Limp Mode!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DEF Limp Mode!

Well my truck is stuck in def limp mode and it wants me to take it to the dealer. I pulled apart my def tank, cleaned everything, and put it back together. I cleared the codes and the check engine light went away. It's still stuck in limp mode and will not drive over 5 mph. Very frustrating! Any help is much appreciated.20190614_203842.jpg

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

DEF Limp Mode!

How many miles are on it? As stated below, you’ll probably need to see a dealer, to my knowledge it’s either electrical or the injector is malfunctioning but I could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

3. Likes AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: DEF Limp Mode!

Try pulling the battery cables for 15 min. Short of that, all sources point towards needing to see the dealer for this.

5. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

What year of truck, how many miles on truck? did the truck throw the code on its own? or was the def tank low or empty?

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

7. Likes AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good opportunity to delete! Keep us posted

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thank y'all for the kind responses. It's a 2015 3500 with 103600. Fresh out of warranty and ready for a delete. My only issue is that I need to drive my truck to Austin on Tuesday so this has to get fixed! The tank was low when I got a warning. I pulled the tank apart and cleaned it. I pulled the injector and cleaned it. I had the batteries disconnected for about 30 min. I cleared the codes and the check engine light went away and no codes returned. But it's still stuck in limp mode! I guess it will go to dealer on a flat bed ...

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

so you go a warning telling you DEF was low or out of def? not sure on your year but the newer ones there are a few warnings you get before you get put in limp mode. did you get those? so on only tanks that have never been cleaned and have higher miles. the tanks do crystalize over time. Have seen bottoms of the tanks glazed over bad enough that you now have lost some capacity. now that I know this info , if you let me know if it went into limp mode without prior low DEF warning . I will reach out to a bud and see if I can find a DIY reset. or if a scan tool is needed.

Justin

12. Likes AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

also Im assuming that when you cleared the code you had new def fluid in the tank.

Justin

14. Likes AK Bob, AA-R, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I am not there (limp mode) yet but heading that way.
    How do I clear “Permanent” codes? I have tried my regular OBDII reader and my VSI-2534 interface with no success. Can’t clear after replacing a fluid emission module 52029802AA secondary to experiencing DEF/Reductant failures that include sending unit failure, pressure failure. P204A Reductant Pressure Sensor Circuit and P202C Reductant Tank heat control circuit HIGH. There were also one or two more DEF related failures that occurred (I forgot what they were as they cleared post part replacement), ALL simultaneously which strongly suggested to me that there was a connection/continuity issue and not likely simultaneous multiple related component failures.

I had initially just pulled and cleaned the connectors to this module on the top of the DEF tank after getting my warning that I would go to limp mode (5MPH in 200 miles) and got rid of the limp mode warning and my DEF gage returned to 100% after gradually dropping down to zero. Was fine for about 100 miles and then DEF gage started its slow but visible drop from 100% toward 0%.
    I would appreciated any feedback.

16. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

You said it got low then you pulled and cleaned it. I’m assuming you topped it off? The gauge isn’t 100% accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

18. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast