Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Draining coolant without a mess?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Draining coolant without a mess?

I briefly searched, couldn't find anything good to cover this. I can't get my arm down the driver side of the radiator far enough to open the drain, even with the power steering res unbolted, so I had to pull the lower radiator hose on the passenger side. Is there a better way? LOL

'13 CCSB 6.7
    DRD tuned MM3, deleted, H&S S364SXE, Steed Speed CNC manifold, 5" exhaust, Banks 3.5" intake manifold, grid heater delete, CAT fuel filters, BW44-47 swap, CAD delete w/ one piece axle, Dynatrac free spin, Detroit rear AAM/PW front e-locker, 4.88 Nitro gears, Carli Pintop 3.25", King 2.5, Carli-Deaver leaf packs, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizers, 1" blocks in rear, bronze 20x10 Fuel Coverts, 38x13.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Draining coolant without a mess?

Quote Originally Posted by legendaryandrew View Post
    I briefly searched, couldn't find anything good to cover this. I can't get my arm down the driver side of the radiator far enough to open the drain, even with the power steering res unbolted, so I had to pull the lower radiator hose on the passenger side. Is there a better way? LOL
    I personally haven’t done this yet but reading what everyone else that’s tackled this that the best option is to pull the bottom hose.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

3. Likes AK Bob, AnOldBiker, walla2k5, david3gen liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

The first time I did this, I pulled the grill off to access the petcock. It didn't work so well, so I pulled the lower hose and caught it with a large drain pan.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

5. Likes watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

What about using like a suction pump. Sticking the straw in the resivour suck that out the take off the top line to the head and start sucking it to a lower level.

This is how I have thought about doing it hopefully mess free.

Not sure tho.

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

7. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I think the suction idea is nice, but It'd take forever LOL. I ended up draining it again when I got the coolant reroute kit from H&S, and just pulled the lower hose again, but this time, I had an old kiddie pool stashed under my porch thats been sitting for years, and slid it under the truck, with a bucket in it. Caught 95% in the bucket, but every drop that missed, just ended up in the kiddie pool. (Don't worry, it wont be used for pool duty anymore LOL).

'13 CCSB 6.7
    DRD tuned MM3, deleted, H&S S364SXE, Steed Speed CNC manifold, 5" exhaust, Banks 3.5" intake manifold, grid heater delete, CAT fuel filters, BW44-47 swap, CAD delete w/ one piece axle, Dynatrac free spin, Detroit rear AAM/PW front e-locker, 4.88 Nitro gears, Carli Pintop 3.25", King 2.5, Carli-Deaver leaf packs, Carli radius arms, Carli steering stabilizers, 1" blocks in rear, bronze 20x10 Fuel Coverts, 38x13.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers

9. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

To get to the drain valve the drivers side inner fender liner needs to come out.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

11. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Big drain pan and patience

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Likes watersupply189 liked this post