Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did you know? Do you know? Tars

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Did you know? Do you know? Tars

I was looking at tires since I have 2 Good itch tars dry rotting

I was thinking of going with a 285 this time. As you know, stock is 265.

Some of you know I lost a lot of my brain power, so as an excersise, I figured I would calculate the feet saved by going up an inch.

OK D X Pie = X then / 12 gives me the circumfence in feet. Compare the 2 tars and I save a whopping 12 feet per mile. There's a 30 turn per mile difference on average between brands.

That means I have to drive 433.33 miles to save one mile.

I didn't mess with the RPM. at 1900 RPM I am doing exactly 65. 1900 is the top end of the sweet spot. Remember, I'm into MPG. I was ready to go with a set of 342 gears.

265 is 31.7 @ 657 turns per mile
    285 is 32.8 @ 636
    Based on Good Itch T/A's

This ought to be fun. . . What tire height do I need to add 5 MPH to the same RPM? I figured 35" which will look rediculas on a 2wd

Strokes suck

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Somehow that doesn't sound right. Maybe I have the decimal in the wrong place????

S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Top Of Page | #3
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

The wider tire will hurt your mileage. Been there done that. You may look at some Nitto's. They make a 265/75 to give you the extra height without the width. Only brand I have see that makes them and you have to order them and wait in this part of the world.

Roughly a 34 inch tire will add 5 mph. So to keep the same width you would need to find some 265/85's. Which would put you at just over a 5 mph increase. What kind of mileage you got the 5.9 up to now anyway.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I don't know yet other than 17 around town. That was before I pryed off the LR caliper. Alex got 20 towing a small parachute at 75. He's driven it more than I have.

I just finished the Fass, added my catalyst, put in electric fans so far. I still have a boost tube and my BD to install. I have a CW351CE on it's way too. That will help allot too

5. Top Of Page | #5
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Sounds like you've got it coming along pretty well. I know my old 5.9 will smoke my 6.7 on mileage. It averages around 22 just running around town and gets about 26 on the highway. Sad thing is I never really tried to get mileage out of it. Just use it for a farm truck.

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Eric
    It's 2/10" difference in width between the 265 and 285

I found a 285-85 Goodrich that was 8.7. But it's 315 each 34.9" tall

7. Top Of Page | #7
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I put a set of goodrich 285's on mine and on average lost 1.5 mpg for making the change. I'm back with 265's now.

By the way a 265 is 10.4 inches wide and a 285 is 11.2. The 285 are almost a full inch wider not 2/10".

265mm = 10.4331 285mm=11.2204 A little more tire math 265 X .7 = 185.5mm or 7.2834 inches so 17+(7.2834 X 2) should get me tire height. Which calculates out to 31.5668 BFG rounds it up to 31.6.