Likes Likes:  35
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: voltage regulator issues '91 Ram 250

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: voltage regulator issues '91 Ram 250

Welcome @yeoman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl, watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: voltage regulator issues '91 Ram 250

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    You could have several different things wrong.
    -are you using high quality replacement parts? OEM is best.
    -is the plug worn out? It should fit tightly. You can get a replacement.
    -be sure the case is grounded. You could add a ground strap with locking star washers.
    -I’ve seen a reference to faulty PCM and or connections.
    There are conversion kits available or you could simply swap to a newer alternator. Hope this helps. Please post your solution when found.
    I concur

Does the charge flicker?

You can gently squeeze the 2 wire connector plugs and see if that help.

Being a restoration guy of Mopars, check the wires for insulation bloating. You should cut the harness open and trace back to the alternator.Just tape it back up when done. That's only #16 or 18 wire. Sometimes the wiring gets corrosion inside the insulation. But do everything else first. Also drill new holes for the regulator and remount. But a slight smear of vaseline on the screws to prevent rust.

Clutch has a point. Go to Carquest or NAPA. Stay away from Autozone. (Super cheap Shtuff in quality) None of this Wal-Mart junk either. If ordering online, use Summit Racing. You'll find Summit a good source. I'm not sure, but @Geno's Garage may have them too. They are a sponsor here and a preferred source. We ask you use our sponsors wherever possible first.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Thanks watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12