Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: Extreme cold weather prep

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Extreme cold weather prep

Couldn’t find an exact forum for this so I’ll just post here. Mods move if necessary. Anyways, I am a relatively new owner of a high mileage 2004.5 Ram 3500 with the 5.9HO. It’s got about 285,000 on it and had it since March this year (only put on 1,500 miles since I really only drive about a few miles a day). Mods done to it is an Edge CTS2 Juice w/Attitude, Sinister Diesel CIA, and a 5” MBRP turboback exhaust. Basically what I want to know is that I am possibly relocating to Eielson AFB outside of Fairbanks, AK in 6 months for about three years and am wondering what you guys have done to winterize your rigs? I’m in Utah now so I’m no stranger to cold weather and wind (I know it can get way colder up in Alaska) and really the only thing I ever did was plug the block heater in at night and fire up then let warm to about 100 before driving off and keeping RPM’s down til temps reached about 180 for the engine and trans. I’m planning on adding fuel additives, installing a rad blanket, taking the batteries out at night and bringing them inside to sit on a tender, maybe run a trans and oil pan warmer, and 5w-40 oil and a more extreme cold tolerated antifreeze. What else should I do or is it really not necessary besides what I have listed? Also heard that the normal lube used in ball joints can turn to cement in this cold and any other “normal” greases? It’s not definite yet that I’ll be heading up there, but I just want to know what I can do if and when the orders to go drop. My wife also has a gas Ford Ecosport with AWD that I plan on adding a block heater too and what not. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Extreme cold weather prep

I don't think you would have to remove your batteries every night, you could buy battery blankets and just plug them in. Extra fuel filters would be a good idea (heated wraps are available for them as well) as would going with a lighter gear oil in the differentials. I'm sure someone that experiences the extreme weather in Alaska will speak up. Good looking pickup by the way.

2013 Ram 2500 Big Horn 4x4 G56 CCLB 6.7, MM3 Tuned by Double R Diesel, Flo-Pro 4" Exhaust, Deviant Race Parts Goodies, ARP Head Studs, South Bend Clutch, 3" Thuren Front Springs w/Fox Shocks All-Around, Hell-Bent Steel Steering Box Brace, Thuren Track Bar, Air-Lift 5000, Deviant Race Parts 70" Traction Bars, Falken Wild-Peak AT3W LT285/75R18 (34.8x11.3x18) on Moto Metal MO970 18x9 +18mm

4. Thanks Amd241997, watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes Amd241997, watersupply189, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Extreme cold weather prep

I live in Anchorage AK doesn’t get as cold. Fairbanks gets hotter in the summer and colder in the winter. I agree with walla2k5 on his suggestions. Also keep the block heater plugged in below 20 F When you get down to minus 30 F and below if you can’t plug in you will need to start and idle up to temperature every 4 hours or so.

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel. Oil Bypass Filter, 50 Gallon auxiliary fuel tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 3500 (Aisin) 3.73 4X4 Limited Crew Cab Long Bed DRW. Oil Bypass Filter, Fuel Filtration Kit, Cold Air Intake, City Diesel Actuator and 50 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank.

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, watersupply189, Clutch liked this post