MM3 Power

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Senior Member F350Cummins's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    I have my 2016 (configured as my sig states) throwing a p0871 trans code. trans temps have never been really high.
    P0871 is an OD Pressure Switch Rationality fault

    Only happens when climbing a hill towing. trailer is a 24x8.8x8 enclosed trailer pretty close to empty about 4500 lbs

    Dealer is booked through the 21st to look at it (still in warranty) anything I can do to make it last till then? I am now in a position where I need to tow regularly and looking for a manual dually in the not too distant future.

    2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 with Rays Emission compliant EGR-Less Tuning and 12V tune

    Future plans: Fass, head studs, slightly larger tires (at least more aggressive tread)


    6 in a row makes her go

  2. Top Of Page | #2
    Dude's Diesel Performance's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    I have my 2016 (configured as my sig states) throwing a p0871 trans code. trans temps have never been really high.
    P0871 is an OD Pressure Switch Rationality fault

    Only happens when climbing a hill towing. trailer is a 24x8.8x8 enclosed trailer pretty close to empty about 4500 lbs

    Dealer is booked through the 21st to look at it (still in warranty) anything I can do to make it last till then? I am now in a position where I need to tow regularly and looking for a manual dually in the not too distant future.

    Hows the trans fluid level look? Sometimes if you do not have enough trans fluid in there it could heat up and cause the code.

    Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK
    INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    Dudesdieselperformance@gmail.com



  3. Top Of Page | #3
    Senior Member F350Cummins's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    Hows the trans fluid level look? Sometimes if you do not have enough trans fluid in there it could heat up and cause the code.
    level is, and has been right on since I bought the truck. 75K miles on her now

    2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 with Rays Emission compliant EGR-Less Tuning and 12V tune

    Future plans: Fass, head studs, slightly larger tires (at least more aggressive tread)


    6 in a row makes her go

  4. Top Of Page | #4
    Dude's Diesel Performance's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by F350Cummins View Post
    level is, and has been right on since I bought the truck. 75K miles on her now
    I figured so as i know your very detailed with your truck. Hmmmm

    Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20

    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK
    INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    Dudesdieselperformance@gmail.com



  5. Top Of Page | #5
    Bpbertolacini's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    I'm just saying but I have 68000 on my truck with the 68rfe had the same code and took it to the tranny shop guy pulled it apart and the 2nd and 4th clutch packs were smoked , I thought initially it was low fluid level and top it off but nope bad clutch packs. Good times

    16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 33,11.5x20 tis wheels,fully deleted, s&b intake, ccv reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

  6. Top Of Page | #6
    Senior Member F350Cummins's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    I figured so as i know your very detailed with your truck. Hmmmm
    in my reading i found claims that raising the pressure to hold the clutches a little better in the tuning, can as the mileage gets higher bypass the switch engaging it. Saw it in several places, but none of them a truly reliable source.

    2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 with Rays Emission compliant EGR-Less Tuning and 12V tune

    Future plans: Fass, head studs, slightly larger tires (at least more aggressive tread)


    6 in a row makes her go

  7. Top Of Page | #7
    Senior Member F350Cummins's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by Bpbertolacini View Post
    I'm just saying but I have 68000 on my truck with the 68rfe had the same code and took it to the tranny shop guy pulled it apart and the 2nd and 4th clutch packs were smoked , I thought initially it was low fluid level and top it off but nope bad clutch packs. Good times
    I am babying it in the mean time, I cleared the code and it drives fine with no trailer.....

    2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 with Rays Emission compliant EGR-Less Tuning and 12V tune

    Future plans: Fass, head studs, slightly larger tires (at least more aggressive tread)


    6 in a row makes her go

  8. Top Of Page | #8
    Bpbertolacini's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Honestly my truck drove great I wouldn't of even known if I didn't check the codes.

    16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 33,11.5x20 tis wheels,fully deleted, s&b intake, ccv reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.

  9. Top Of Page | #9
    RamIt's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Info I found elsewhere of a similar issue:

    "How many miles on your truck? If 90K+, then you likely have a worn solenoid switch valve (SSV) bore in the main valve body. This is fairly common at high mileage, and allows fluid to leak into (or out of) the OD clutch circuit. First sign is usually this fault code. Fix would be to replace the entire VB assy (not just the solenoid) with a new Mopar valve body. Part number is RL033980AC and list price is $463. The new service VBs are all anodized to resist this wear. The Mopar part number is a "reman" number (so they can get your old VB back for core), but the parts are actually brand new assys, not reman.There are other things that can cause the P0871 fault (like a bad wiring connection), but if you're at high mileage I'd recommend replacing the VB assy. That is likely the problem."


  10. Thanks Dude's Diesel Performance thanked for this post
    Likes Dude's Diesel Performance liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #10
    Senior Member F350Cummins's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: 2016 68rfe throwing p0871

    Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    Info I found elsewhere of a similar issue:

    "How many miles on your truck? If 90K+, then you likely have a worn solenoid switch valve (SSV) bore in the main valve body. This is fairly common at high mileage, and allows fluid to leak into (or out of) the OD clutch circuit. First sign is usually this fault code. Fix would be to replace the entire VB assy (not just the solenoid) with a new Mopar valve body. Part number is RL033980AC and list price is $463. The new service VBs are all anodized to resist this wear. The Mopar part number is a "reman" number (so they can get your old VB back for core), but the parts are actually brand new assys, not reman.There are other things that can cause the P0871 fault (like a bad wiring connection), but if you're at high mileage I'd recommend replacing the VB assy. That is likely the problem."
    that was one of the same ones I saw when I referenced above
    in my reading i found claims that raising the pressure to hold the clutches a little better in the tuning, can as the mileage gets higher bypass the switch engaging it. Saw it in several places, but none of them a truly reliable source.
    Its likely the case. I seem to recall my tuning has the pressure turned up to 180psi but I do not have the ability to confirm that unless @Double R Diesel can confirm from my files.

    2016 Tradesman 2500 picked up 9/28/16 MM3 with Rays Emission compliant EGR-Less Tuning and 12V tune

    Future plans: Fass, head studs, slightly larger tires (at least more aggressive tread)


    6 in a row makes her go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •