Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help I'm stumped

1. Top Of Page | #21

User Info Menu

Re: Help I'm stumped

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins_mumma View Post
    Fuses are all good and I cant find the relay! Everything I find says it doesn't have one it has a fuel control module

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Fuel pump control module (fpcm) is on vp-44 injunction pump trucks. 1998.5- 2003

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

2. Thanks Cummins_mumma thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

Did you by chance notice if your wait to start icon
    Was acting any different when you had issue?
    I didn't see you say it but. You did the key prime? like you were trying to start but don't start it. This cycles your lift pump. Can you hear anything?
    Does lift pump run at all?
    How's your batteries? Old? New?

Justin

4. Top Of Page | #23

User Info Menu

Look up FCA fuel control actuator. Mounted on CP3. This can get stuck in certain positions or completely stuck essentially blocking fuel to the rail. So this is the only way I have heard of testing if its bad. Unplug it. If you unplug it will mean your CP3 will not have the ability to regulate the amount of fuel and will run at max.
    So if you try this and the truck runs. Turn off immediately. Then you know the FCA is going bad.
    Make sure batteries are good. Anything under 10 under load can give you issues without showing a code.

Justin

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    I have an 03, which is identical to his. There is nothing up there. It's just a simple wiring system from the fuse box relay to the pump. When I installed my FASS many moons ago, I just plugged the FASS harness into the plug from the pump, located where his is. I've been all over that truck since. There's nothing back there except the harness for the fuel gauge. You sure that's not a Chebby or Ford? Or maybe they have something for the in tank retro from the recall? He says he has an external pump on the filter. Manual shift vs. Automatic?
    Based on everything I've found the FPCU/FPCM, unit/module whatever you wanna call it, exists in that location on VP-44 trucks, which I realize OPs truck is actually not a VP-44..therefore this does not apply here. As far as you not having it on your truck, I can't comment. This has reached beyond my scope of knowledge. I'm significantly more familiar with 4th gen stuff.

7. Top Of Page | #25

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Did you by chance notice if your wait to start icon
    Was acting any different when you had issue?
    I didn't see you say it but. You did but the key like you were trying to start but don't start it. This cycles your lift pump. Can you hear anything?
    Does lift pump run at all?
    How's your batteries? Old? New?
    The wait to start light didn't come on actually... only since it died my batteries are less the 2 years old alternator is new my starter is new throttle position sensor new ( less then a week old) fuel pump was changed and plugged in still no power going to it.

8. Top Of Page | #26

User Info Menu

Ok so usually a tell tell sign of ecm issue is the Wait to start light not showing with your current issues. But im not convinced it's a bad em.
    Your fuel pump/lift pump relay is in the ecm.
    There is a specific wire that comes out of ecm
    For the lift pump.
    I suggest you check the entire path on ecm
    Wires. Battery wires. Double check any areas of recent maintenance or repairs incase a wire was dinged. The odd thing is no codes.
    Are you able to check batteries to ensure they are
    Currently close to 12v.
    I will have time later this evening to read some diagnostic steps with the no wait to start light.

Justin

9. Likes RamIt, Cummins_mumma liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    Ok so usually a tell tell sign of ecm issue is the Wait to start light not showing with your current issues. But im not convinced it's a bad em.
    Your fuel pump/lift pump relay is in the end.
    There is a specific wire that comes out of ecm
    For the lift pump.
    I suggest you check the entire path on ecm
    Wires. Battery wires. Double check any areas of recent maintenance or repairs incase a wire was dinged. The odd thing is no codes.
    Are you able to check batteries to ensure they are
    Currently close to 12v.
    I will have time later this evening to read some diagnostic steps with the no wait to start light.
    With all those starts you've been doing, I suggest you get a charger on them before you lose them completely. Need to avoid sulfating which drastically diminishes a batteries performance. Hit them with as fast a charge as you can for an hour, and then a slow charge until done. Old alternators don't mean a thing. I've had 50 year old alternators that still performed correctly.

How are you checking for voltage at the pump? By the time you turn on the key and crawl under the truck and fumble around, the ECM could have timed out. It's a 2 person operation. You can check the ECM output to the relay in the fuse box. Look on the relay, there should be a schematic embossed on the relay. You can get a pin out. You want to see if the ECM is activating the coil. You could rob a relay from a low priority function and put that in the Fuel pump slot too. Just yank it from a function that doesn't keep the truv\ck from driving. If memory serves me right, a simple SPST relay will work.

It's been a long time.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

11. Top Of Page | #28

User Info Menu

So today I went home after my first shift and thought I'm not getting power to my fuel pump I'm going to start at my battery and see if I have any broken wires lo and behold I found a broken wire and fixed that problem and then it coated with a p0462 p0463 and now I'm going to go home after I'm done my second shift at work and see if I can get my truck primed and started hoping all it was was just a wire :-(

12. Top Of Page | #29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cummins_mumma View Post
    So today I went home after my first shift and thought I'm not getting power to my fuel pump I'm going to start at my battery and see if I have any broken wires lo and behold I found a broken wire and fixed that problem and then it coated with a p0462 p0463 and now I'm going to go home after I'm done my second shift at work and see if I can get my truck primed and started hoping all it was was just a wire :-(

Did you see my prior posts?

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

13. Likes RamIt liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Did you see my prior posts?
    Yup I did and I appreciate all the suggestions.

I had a hunch I was chasing a wire especially once I found out the pumps relay is not separate from the computer I was certainly chasing the wire I located it I fixed it my truck is now running. I didn't need to charge my batteries but on the chance that I had to jump my truck I had that option.

I'd like to call this a community fix thanks all !

15. Thanks RamIt, Polaraco thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt, DIESELWRKS, Polaraco, 03 unicorn liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast