Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Help needed - Removing coolant expansion tank

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Help needed - Removing coolant expansion tank

I have a leak on the seam of the coolant expansion tank on my 2016 Ram 2500. Any advice on the process to remove the tank would be appreciated. Cannot find the procedure in the 15k+ page service manual... It looks like I might need to remove the battery tray, but I am not sure how it is held onto the body?? I removed the bolts holding the battery tray to the fender, but it did not budge. Not even sure if it is necessary. Advice please... from someone who has tackled this!

Thanks again for all of the help!
    Bridger

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Help needed - Removing coolant expansion tank

Are you sure it's coming from the seam on my 13 it was a line that comes from the radiator to the top of the tank the band it looks like it's coming from the seam but it kind of runs down but you can't already tell that reservoir is filled to full and we'll squeeze through that's what I noticed on the 13.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1badMopar View Post
    I have a leak on the seam of the coolant expansion tank on my 2016 Ram 2500. Any advice on the process to remove the tank would be appreciated. Cannot find the procedure in the 15k+ page service manual... It looks like I might need to remove the battery tray, but I am not sure how it is held onto the body?? I removed the bolts holding the battery tray to the fender, but it did not budge. Not even sure if it is necessary. Advice please... from someone who has tackled this!

Thanks again for all of the help!
    Bridger

That is a rare spot to leak. I would recommend pressure testing it if possible and double checking before going through the removal process. Keep us updated sir!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

That hose on top has been few leaking the clamp is crimped on but not tight enough from factory. Ya I was going to pull my tank till investigated further.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'm fairly confident that it's leaking at the seam, but I will investigate further to verify. I went ahead and removed the factory band clamps on the top hoses and replaced them with traditional hose clamps, just in case.

I will pressure test the tank and go from there. I'm by no means an ASE certified mechanic, but I did spent countless hours under hoods in my Dad's shop growing up. One other trick we used in my Dad's old shop was to spray athlete's foot power on items to chase down leaks. It works amazing at allowing you to see the leak and corresponding trail, and then simply washes right off without effort. It's by far the best thing I have found for chasing oil or fuel leaks. I will try it on the tank and see what it get's me.

Lastly, I did locate in the service manual that I have to remove the inner fender liner to remove the battery box. I am hoping it does not come to that. What a pain.

10. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post