Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 68RFE slipping

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE slipping

I am currently moving from CA to CO and yesterday while towing a 6% grade the truck started slipping we were near the top of the pass holding at around 65mph. My wife was driving while I was sleeping but the surging woke me up. I had her drop the trans to 5 gear and manually to 4 on the next steep pull. The truck is a 2017 with 60k running mm3 from drd stock otherwise. The trailer is probably close to 10k lb. I dropped the tune back to stock the rest of the day and locked out 6th . It didn't seem to have the issue again. I have never run the truck above tow tune even empty.
    Any recommendations including a good shop in Colorado on the Colorado springs side of things, should I look at a revmax converter and valve body or other option.
    Thanks for the help

2. Thanks TruckFactor thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE slipping

If you're slipping, you should start looking at a new transmission. You're not going to correct slipping OD clutches with other hard parts.

Also, you shouldn't be pulling a grade in 6th gear. When I had my 4th gen on 35s with 3.42s I had to lock out 6th gear up a 7% grade empty because 6th was flat out too low of a gear.

4. Thanks TruckFactor thanked for this post
    Likes Jaxonsram liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Outback View Post
    I am currently moving from CA to CO and yesterday while towing a 6% grade the truck started slipping we were near the top of the pass holding at around 65mph. My wife was driving while I was sleeping but the surging woke me up. I had her drop the trans to 5 gear and manually to 4 on the next steep pull. The truck is a 2017 with 60k running mm3 from drd stock otherwise. The trailer is probably close to 10k lb. I dropped the tune back to stock the rest of the day and locked out 6th . It didn't seem to have the issue again. I have never run the truck above tow tune even empty.
    Any recommendations including a good shop in Colorado on the Colorado springs side of things, should I look at a revmax converter and valve body or other option.
    Thanks for the help
    Revmax is who we recommend for sure if you decide to upgrade your trans. The clutches are a bit deeper like stated then just some hard parts. Also, if you get a different trans you will get a nice warranty as well vs just replacing certain parts and pieces.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes Booch035, Jaxonsram liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Not to hijack the thread but this reminded me of a question I had had. If running 37's with 4:56 gears, 6th gear should be fine to tow 7% up grades correct? I always locked out 6th before gear swapping. Now that I have swapped gears can I just let the 68RFE do its thing?

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruckFactor View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but this reminded me of a question I had had. If running 37's with 4:56 gears, 6th gear should be fine to tow 7% up grades correct? I always locked out 6th before gear swapping. Now that I have swapped gears can I just let the 68RFE do its thing?
    You should have no issues with 4.56s on 37s according to a couple of gear ratio calculators. The recommended gearing for that size is actually 3.83

9. Thanks TruckFactor thanked for this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help
    For those of us that don't know, and for educational purposes. Do you know how much HP/Torque the "Tow Tune" ad's? How many miles have you been running the DRD tuner? I'm at the point I feel a tuner is my next upgrade, trying to decide if a new tranny would be the better first step.. or one of these upgraded valve body kits that double line pressure from stock (heard they help a lot). Your info might help others (and myself) answer that question.

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruckFactor View Post
    For those of us that don't know, and for educational purposes. Do you know how much HP/Torque the "Tow Tune" ad's? How many miles have you been running the DRD tuner? I'm at the point I feel a tuner is my next upgrade, trying to decide if a new tranny would be the better first step.. or one of these upgraded valve body kits that double line pressure from stock (heard they help a lot). Your info might help others (and myself) answer that question.
    DRD tow tune is 30hp and optimized shift strategy. A proper shift strategy (and proper driver restraint) will keep your transmission happy. You could do a valve body kit if you want, but personally, I'd put the money in an interest bearing account and just save up for a Revmax. The harsh reality is that your OE transmission is going to break sooner or later. Don't try to bandaid it with stuff....just take care of it and stack up a rainy day fund for when it finally decides to **** the bed.

EDIT: ^Personal opinion on the transmission hard parts btw. You do what you feel comfortable with.
    2nd EDIT: I completely spaced on the valvebody aspect, the RevMax valvebody will let you run 225psi MLP, which does make a big difference on clutch holding capacity. If you are planning on pushing the envelope this might not be a bad investment. I completely own the fact that I forgot about this.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help
    I slipped 6th once pull our camper into the VA mountains a couple years ago. Just wasn't paying attention to how steep the grade got as we typically pull the camper to the coast where 6th is no problem.

Anyway, that was 3 years ago (about 20,000 miles) and have had several trips to the NC mountains since, along with other trips and daily driving and never had the trans slip again as long as I lock out to 5th or 4th, what ever needed to keep the rpms up.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys I had to keep it out of 6th and had a few times where it slipped while in 5th as well, never in 4th gear. Watching the MM3 I was never over over 70% throttle.

I am running back to CA tomorrow to tow my second trailer back out here fortunately it weighs no more than 5000lb.

If I do need to replace the trans this summer does anyone have a recommendation for a shop up install a Revmax.

Location wise I am now in Colorado springs.

14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys I had to keep it out of 6th and had a few times where it slipped while in 5th as well, never in 4th gear. Watching the MM3 I was never over over 70% throttle.

I am running back to CA tomorrow to tow my second trailer back out here fortunately it weighs no more than 5000lb.

If I do need to replace the trans this summer does anyone have a recommendation for a shop up install a Revmax.

Location wise I am now in Colorado springs.
    Cooked. Redo with High performance frictions. A good friction modifier will buy you some time.

If they are still around, there is East Coast Trans too, They're in Florida.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC