Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Gear Swap to 4:56, odd issue(s)

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Gear Swap to 4:56, odd issue(s)

Hello Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 with a BDS 4" lift kit (fox 2.0). 37" tires. Professionally installed. I had this lift kit for 2 years and everything ran/felt great.

2 weeks ago I did a 4:56 gear swap at a very reputable outfit that does nothing but gear swaps. After the swap the truck drove odd. It felt similar to being in 4wd on paved road surfaces. Turning would cause a "wobble" feeling.

The installer said this was common after a gear swap and it should go away. I didn't like that answer as it didn't make sense to me, feeling I may not have accurately described over the phone the issue I brought the truck in to the shop and told him "Drive this in a circle and if you say thats normal I'll let it go for a week".

He agreed that it was not normal and said he knew exactly how to fix it. That he had over tightened the "true track". I left the truck with him for a day and he called to say it was all fixed up.

Now, the original issue is gone, but I now feel my steering is very loose. Again hard to explain but just know that the truck feels different then it has for 2 years prior. I also get a slight steering wheel wobble at around the 40/50 mph mark. Nothing before or after those speeds.

The wobble and the slightly loose feeling steering wheel has me thinking they over corrected something. The last piece to this puzzle is that just before the gear swap I rotated my tires. I can't be certain (with my experience level) that the tire rotation isn't the cause of the new things I'm feeling.

Sorry for the long story! But in short, if anyone can answer these questions.

1) Would tire rotation cause the newest issues (wobble at 40/50 and loose steering wheel).

2) Does what the tech said about "true track" add up? Does it make sense? Could his handling of this have caused the newest issues? (I.E. he over tightened originally, then over loosened to fix)

3) Are there things I can do/check myself to trouble shoot likely culprits? While not experienced with this, i'm a handy guy with a healthy tool supply and handle all the electrical installs on my rig.

Don't want to go back to the shop without more info from unbiased sources if I can help it! Really appreciate any replies.

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Gear Swap to 4:56, odd issue(s)

Welcome @TruckFactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruckFactor View Post
    Hello Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster!

I have a 2017 Ram 2500 4x4 with a BDS 4" lift kit (fox 2.0). 37" tires. Professionally installed. I had this lift kit for 2 years and everything ran/felt great.

2 weeks ago I did a 4:56 gear swap at a very reputable outfit that does nothing but gear swaps. After the swap the truck drove odd. It felt similar to being in 4wd on paved road surfaces. Turning would cause a "wobble" feeling.

The installer said this was common after a gear swap and it should go away. I didn't like that answer as it didn't make sense to me, feeling I may not have accurately described over the phone the issue I brought the truck in to the shop and told him "Drive this in a circle and if you say thats normal I'll let it go for a week".

He agreed that it was not normal and said he knew exactly how to fix it. That he had over tightened the "true track". I left the truck with him for a day and he called to say it was all fixed up.

Now, the original issue is gone, but I now feel my steering is very loose. Again hard to explain but just know that the truck feels different then it has for 2 years prior. I also get a slight steering wheel wobble at around the 40/50 mph mark. Nothing before or after those speeds.

The wobble and the slightly loose feeling steering wheel has me thinking they over corrected something. The last piece to this puzzle is that just before the gear swap I rotated my tires. I can't be certain (with my experience level) that the tire rotation isn't the cause of the new things I'm feeling.

Sorry for the long story! But in short, if anyone can answer these questions.

1) Would tire rotation cause the newest issues (wobble at 40/50 and loose steering wheel).

2) Does what the tech said about "true track" add up? Does it make sense? Could his handling of this have caused the newest issues? (I.E. he over tightened originally, then over loosened to fix)

3) Are there things I can do/check myself to trouble shoot likely culprits? While not experienced with this, i'm a handy guy with a healthy tool supply and handle all the electrical installs on my rig.

Don't want to go back to the shop without more info from unbiased sources if I can help it! Really appreciate any replies.
    Welcome.

Someone correct me if im wrong but your first question with the wobble it sounds like you might have slung a weight on the rear, sometimes not too noticeable, then you rotated to the front. The front tire out of balance is more noticeable.

The second sounds like the limited slip was adjusted too tight acting more like a locked differential. And last I'm not sure the best to self diagnose.

I hope this helps.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Hey, I just had a gear swap also. 4.10's. Had some noises and a rear pinion seal leak. They fixed the seal and said everything was in spec. I didnt had any steering issues but the tires were really noisy when i got truck back. I didnt remember it being that loud. I rotated the tires front to back and noise went away. I've put maybe 750 miles on truck now and seems to be running better with less noise. Also check to see if they forgot to tighten up the rod ends. Figure they took them off to get to gears. Just a thought

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    Welcome.

Someone correct me if im wrong but your first question with the wobble it sounds like you might have slung a weight on the rear, sometimes not too noticeable, then you rotated to the front. The front tire out of balance is more noticeable.

The second sounds like the limited slip was adjusted too tight acting more like a locked differential. And last I'm not sure the best to self diagnose.

I hope this helps.
    There are no adjustments on the American TruTrak. Actually it's only 2 screws that hold the assembly together. It's just 4 spider gears and some tabs and a a ring gear. (I Really forget. It's been a while) IF! it's not assembled right, it will not work right and could get squirrely. I had that on this 03.

I've done 2 gear changes on these. My 08 and my 03. I Did not have any issues with the 08 other than gear noises. High speed weer. There is no reason to touch the TrueTrak during a gear change. It sounds like he may have over tightened the the carrier bearings the first time. Man The guy must be a gorilla! Or, he set the pinion too deep, which after 50 miles, is irreversible.

Something smells with your description of the events. The guy is like AOC Dazzling you with BS.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

7. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    There are no adjustments on the American TruTrak. Actually it's only 2 screws that hold the assembly together. It's just 4 spider gears and some tabs and a a ring gear. (I Really forget. It's been a while) IF! it's not assembled right, it will not work right and could get squirrely. I had that on this 03.

I've done 2 gear changes on these. My 08 and my 03. I Did not have any issues with the 08 other than gear noises. High speed weer. There is no reason to touch the TrueTrak during a gear change. It sounds like he may have over tightened the the carrier bearings the first time. Man The guy must be a gorilla! Or, he set the pinion too deep, which after 50 miles, is irreversible.

Something smells with your description of the events. The guy is like AOC Dazzling you with BS.
    Ok thanks for correcting me I have not been in a True Trac.

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 03 unicorn View Post
    Ok thanks for correcting me I have not been in a True Trac.
    MMMM I wasn't considering that as a correction. Never thought about it really. I thought I was just informing. It was mor for the other guy than you. But, you're welcome. I guess. You know.

You're a good guy and I like you. You've had the chance to slap me around, I accept it because it's you. (No I'm not making a pass at you. LOL) Wish we were closer together. Not sure the world would be ready for that. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Likes 03 unicorn liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    MMMM I wasn't considering that as a correction. Never thought about it really. I thought I was just informing. It was mor for the other guy than you. But, you're welcome. I guess. You know.

You're a good guy and I like you. You've had the chance to slap me around, I accept it because it's you. (No I'm not making a pass at you. LOL) Wish we were closer together. Not sure the world would be ready for that. LOL
    No worries I was off on how the tru trak was assembled. And if you are ever down south travelin in North Carolina let me know and we will meet up.

12. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I think i know what you mean. I changed to 4.10s and can tell a slight grinding when i take a 90 degree turn. I was thinking it's the LSD. Its gotten better but i can still tell. Not too bad though.

2018 Pearl White Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7, 5" RC Lift with 37x13.5r20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fuel Maverick, RC Steering Stabilizers, 4.10 gears, RevMax VB, RIGID Led bumper lights