Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: VGT/Turbo problems!!!

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

VGT/Turbo problems!!!

VGT/Turbo problems!!!

Hello follow site members. So I’ve got a problem. My 2013 3500 duelly Laramie longhorn is acting up. Sometimes when I start it up, put it in drive and try to drive off. It won’t go past 20 miles per hour. I turn it off and then turn it back on and it runs normal. With the fault codes I’ve pulled it’s saying the VGT actuator is not communicating with the ECM. So I need a new VGT!

my question is..... should I just replace the turbo as well? If so what turbo do you all recommend? Turbo/Actuator combo? Or should I just replace the actuator and be done with it.

My truck is stock. No delete.

I appreciate any info you are will to offer.

Thank you friends.

2. Likes cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: VGT/Turbo problems!!!

Well, I do know that on the Cummins X-15 engine that I have in my Peterbilt, that actuator is a serviceable part. Stands to reason it could also be for the 6.7.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would just replace the actuator unless the turbo showed signs of wear. How many miles are on it?

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Viclopezjr1982 View Post
    VGT/Turbo problems!!!

Hello follow site members. So I’ve got a problem. My 2013 3500 duelly Laramie longhorn is acting up. Sometimes when I start it up, put it in drive and try to drive off. It won’t go past 20 miles per hour. I turn it off and then turn it back on and it runs normal. With the fault codes I’ve pulled it’s saying the VGT actuator is not communicating with the ECM. So I need a new VGT!

my question is..... should I just replace the turbo as well? If so what turbo do you all recommend? Turbo/Actuator combo? Or should I just replace the actuator and be done with it.

My truck is stock. No delete.

I appreciate any info you are will to offer.

Thank you friends.
    I'd just replace the actuator unless it had high miles, how many miles are on it?

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

It’s got 120K

7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Well, I do know that on the Cummins X-15 engine that I have in my Peterbilt, that actuator is a serviceable part. Stands to reason it could also be for the 6.7.
    So I’ve also got a 2009 Peterbilt. With an ISX-15 Cummins. 485hp. It started to smoke a bunch. More than normal. It doesn’t use DEF but it has DPF filter. It smokes a like an old cat 3406B. It’s excessive. What would cause the smoke? 90K on the In-frame. Performed and injector test on it and they all passed. Performed a cylinder cut out test and everything came back looking good. Any ideas?

8. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Viclopezjr1982 View Post
    So I’ve also got a 2009 Peterbilt. With an ISX-15 Cummins. 485hp. It started to smoke a bunch. More than normal. It doesn’t use DEF but it has DPF filter. It smokes a like an old cat 3406B. It’s excessive. What would cause the smoke? 90K on the In-frame. Performed and injector test on it and they all passed. Performed a cylinder cut out test and everything came back looking good. Any ideas?
    Hmmm....

Bad seal on the oil feed to the turbo, or the egr cooler maybe?