Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Update another issue! Ugh

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Update another issue! Ugh

I’ve got a 2008 ram 2500, 6.7. So I screwed up when replacing my alternator and didn’t tuck my cables far enough away from the terminals. The cable from the battery to the alt touched metal and sparked big time. Now that everything is complete, the truck will start but is constantly acting like it’s on one battery, laboring to turn over and barely starting. Alt is putting out 14.2v, and had both batteries tested at advanced auto and they both passed. I am getting a P2509 code...

Not sure if it is related, but I did notice the coolant temp sensor is cracked. I probably did that on accident while climbing around fighting with that damn serpentine belt...
    I’m supposed to be moving Monday from SC to WV. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Update another issue! Ugh

Do you have a voltmeter available? If you test between the 2 positive battery terminals and the 2 negative terminals and note the difference. This could tell you if you have any opened wiring between the two batteries. Or, you could use a pair of jumper cables between the batteries to see if that corrects your problem. Or, you can disconnect your batteries one at a time to see if it works or don’t. If so, something has opened, might be a fusible link or a circuit breaker or just a connection burned. You will need to find it and repair it. I believe this site may have manuals available to premium members. I’m sure you know by now, be sure to isolate any energized electrical pieces from ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If you google your fault code you should find OBD-codes.com. There may be some helpful info there.

5. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

So it must have been a bad battery terminal connection. I disconnected the batteries to test for resistance in the lines and found none. I also found that I have in line fuses and not fuseable links??? But all tested fine. When I hooked everything back up, it was working fine and starts normal. Fingers crossed!!

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I’m glad everything worked out. As for the fusible links, I wasn’t looking at a manual. It was just a possibility that came to mind. They have probably done away with those things. They were used in cars/trucks in the 80s. Thank you for the follow up.