Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: question about torque converter/trans

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

question about torque converter/trans

im having a weird issue with my tc or trans. its a 2014 2500 mostly stock couple goodies. the truck is tuned deleted by drd. i estimate its in the 500-550hp range from quarter mile times and traps. I beat on the truck quite a bit mostly a weekend warrior. i love the way the truck performs while racing it. ive been adding cetane boost to the truck and it runs smoother. but lately since ive been adding it. ive been having issues with 6th. 1st-5th no issues at all but when i get into 6th the converter has issues staying locked it when i go past 63% throttle it just keeps locking and unlocking like it doesn't know what to do until it gets up to about 2600 rpm then stays locked the rest of the way trans temp stays at 165 degrees. i do a a fair bit of high speed pulls. when i do highway runs i do 50 up to about 150ish. i know its a big heavy truck and shouldn't be going that fast and pushing the limits of a stock trans like that. also how do i view datalogs so i can see what the truck is doing myself and not have to send it out to get viewed

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: question about torque converter/trans

I would send a email to DRD, since it has trans tuning with your DRD tuning. you didn't say what are all of your goodies on the truck, or if its a mm3 or a ultra. how many miles , last time the fluid and filter were changed. so you are doing high speed runs in 6th gear? not keeping it in 5th gear. sorry the post is hard to follow but we can try and help with some more info

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    I would send a email to DRD, since it has trans tuning with your DRD tuning. you didn't say what are all of your goodies on the truck, or if its a mm3 or a ultra. how many miles , last time the fluid and filter were changed. so you are doing high speed runs in 6th gear? not keeping it in 5th gear. sorry the post is hard to follow but we can try and help with some more info
    sorry for not including all info you need. all the goodies that I have are tuners deleted by ray using the mm3 on the latest firmware. for the parts I have a air dog 165gph,425 studs, pusher 3.5 intake horn,pusher 3”intercooler piping,heater grid delete,s&b cold air intake still on the stock turbo. the truck has 64k trans flush and filter change was done at 25k in 2016. when I’m running the truck I run it through the gears 2-3-4-5-6 but when I go into 6th the converter has issues staying locked up. up until 2500rpm then locks back up just I find it weird that it locks and then unlocks until I hit that rpm. I just dont want to waste rays time if it’s just a stupid issue

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

by chance are you watching what your TQ slip % is, pressure when this is happening. is this a new issue or has this always happened and you are now wondering if this is not normal?
    if this did not happen before, when it didn't do it,what rpm did 6th lock up in? do you have any saved info? tq-conv slip % , pressure ?

Justin

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=DIESELWRKS;148144]by chance are you watching what your TQ slip % is, pressure when this is happening. is this a new issue or has this always happened and you are now wondering if this is not normal?
    if this did not happen before, when it didn't do it,what rpm did 6th lock up in? do you have any saved info? tq-conv slip

no I currently don’t have the tc slip or any trans info displayed on the mm3 I should start watching that stuff. it’s always done it but it does it more when I put pure cetane boost in the fuel and when I don’t run any it doesn’t do it as much but it still does it. I have data logs of it happening just I wish I could view and see what’s going on myself. when I’m goiing through 5th gear I shift at 3100rpm into 6th and when it goes into 6th it’s at 2400rpm and starts doing the locking and unlocking then once I hit 2500-2600rpm it locks back up and it’s fine rest of the way

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

ok I would send msg to drd. your trans is stock besides his trans tune. I do not know his trans tune well enough, or his trans tune he put on you. I have heard that this trans line pressure can drop in the 80's in 6th gear. this will heat up your trans Im sure. so with a stock tranny and doing a 5th gear shift at 3100 rpms and then 6th at 2400. DRD will know more about the stock trans and shift characteristics with his tune. what he sees and what would be safe. would help to see what is going on with viewing the slip and pressure on the mm3.
    I have never heard of issues due to cetane use.

Justin

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

so before it hits 2500ish and stays locked in 6th, when its doing this lock- unlock, what are you viewing or how do you know if this is happening since you said you are not using mm3 for that. Im just wondering if its the shift flair that happens to protect the trans until you hit 2500rpms.
    also you said all of this happens from 2400-2500 rpm. not a long duration and sequence

Justin

8. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

so before it hits 2500ish and stays locked in 6th, when its doing this lock- unlock, what are you viewing or how do you know if this is happening since you said you are not using mm3 for that. Im just wondering if its the shift flair that happens to protect the trans until you hit 2500rpms.
    also you said all of this happens from 2400-2500 rpm. not a long duration and sequence
    A couple times I’ve had the tcc state up on the mm3 going from 2-4 but I don’t keep it on there all time and when it does it I can see the rpm shoot up and down while it does it. I never thought of the shift flare a possibility to cause the issue

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

if the rpm is smooth and changes with speed you likely are not slipping and you are locked. so you should be able to see when you are slipping in the TC and your rpms will be climbing fast , almost a quick spike.

Justin

10. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

if the rpm is smooth and changes with speed you likely are not slipping and you are locked. so you should be able to see when you are slipping in the TC and your rpms will be climbing fast , almost a quick spike.

I’ll message ray Monday and see if this is normal for this to happen thank you for your time