Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: DPF Life?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

DPF Life?

Hello all, I'm sure this has been already been talked about...

Wondering about the EGRLESS from DRD.

I know the EGR basically cause an incomplete burn which produces more soot. So when you shut the EGR down you now get a better burn which equals less soot.

Now I know Ray says the EGRLESS will shorten the life of the DPF.

I can see this happening if you run the 120HP setting and are hard on the skinny pedal which would be producing more soot.

But if you keep it turned down or drive it really easy on the higher settings will it actually be running cleaner than stock?

In the past I have had fully deleted 05, 07, and 12. But with my new 19 I'm thinking about going with the EGRLESS as soon as Ray has it figured out.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: DPF Life?

Let's ask Ray himself friend so you get it straight from the horses mouth.

@Double R Diesel?

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Technically yes you can manage DPF life with proper control of foot, but it's really hard to avoid using the power if you have it available, LOL.

Another problem is the SCR unit. Once you tune a truck to run cleaner (without egr), the NOx production from the cleaner combustion rises which it turn makes the SCR unit work harder. So if you tie it all together, emissions tuning works great to help the engine (and transmission too on 68RFE trucks), but it will likely shorten the life of an already problematic factory exhaust.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, Booch035, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS, Booch035 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Thanks Ray for the quick response!

Boy is that true about having the power and fighting the urge to use it. Haha.

Tough decision to either run EGRLESS until the exhaust craps out then full delete.

Or full delete and keep the stock exhaust laying around in good shape if needed back on the truck.

Either way I guess I have to wait on the 2019 tuning.

2021 2500 68RFE..... I'll just keep the goodies a secret!!!

6. Thanks DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes DRD, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Technically yes you can manage DPF life with proper control of foot, but it's really hard to avoid using the power if you have it available, LOL.

Another problem is the SCR unit. Once you tune a truck to run cleaner (without egr), the NOx production from the cleaner combustion rises which it turn makes the SCR unit work harder. So if you tie it all together, emissions tuning works great to help the engine (and transmission too on 68RFE trucks), but it will likely shorten the life of an already problematic factory exhaust.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

Funny how only in the land of the free has cleaner combustion combustion been declared a bad thing.