Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: EGR delete kit. Does it have to be so expensive?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question EGR delete kit. Does it have to be so expensive?

Hey everyone,
    I’m planning on deleting my truck in the next couple of weeks and I’ve ordered most of my parts except 1, The EGR delete kit. I see kits from sinister diesel going for over $200 and other big name companies that cost hundreds. I’m planning on running the Banks Monster Ram so I won’t need to block off the factory intake elbow and that leaves 2 holes I need to block off where the EGR used to sit. I have seen plenty of EGR delete kits on eBay for $30-$60, can there really be that big of a difference in quality for a couple of block off plates. I’ll include a link to the one I’m looking at as of now to see what y’all think. I just would hate to spend $200+ on something I’m only going to use half of.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202609301018

Also if any of you guys have ran the cheaper EGR delete kits let me know how they have preformed, any problems arising from them?

Thank you in advance!!!

2. Thanks 4kids2dogs&RV thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: EGR delete kit. Does it have to be so expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyGrey View Post
    Hey everyone,
    I’m planning on deleting my truck in the next couple of weeks and I’ve ordered most of my parts except 1, The EGR delete kit. I see kits from sinister diesel going for over $200 and other big name companies that cost hundreds. I’m planning on running the Banks Monster Ram so I won’t need to block off the factory intake elbow and that leaves 2 holes I need to block off where the EGR used to sit. I have seen plenty of EGR delete kits on eBay for $30-$60, can there really be that big of a difference in quality for a couple of block off plates. I’ll include a link to the one I’m looking at as of now to see what y’all think. I just would hate to spend $200+ on something I’m only going to use half of.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202609301018

Also if any of you guys have ran the cheaper EGR delete kits let me know how they have preformed, any problems arising from them?

Thank you in advance!!!
    I bought my EGR delete kit w/ TV delete on eBay for $40. It was identical to the Sinister kit.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

4. Thanks BigDaddyGrey thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

It's just the nature of human kind. Copy someone else's idea and hard work to develop something. Then make your own and sell it alot cheap due to having nothing invested in it besides the one of theres you bought to copy off of. But they probably returned that one afterwords anyway. Regardless it should work fine. Usually its the hardware, gaskets and o rings that are crap.

6. Thanks BigDaddyGrey thanked for this post
    Likes RamIt liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Update,
    I ended up getting this one ( EGR Valve and Throttle Valve Kit... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3KGFNY...p_mob_ap_share ) because I waited so long to get it so I paid an extra $50 or so to get it in time. But I recently ran into a problem with it. The second block off plate for the EGR cooler near the firewall has a grub screw/set screw for a pyrometer probe. I torqued it down before I installed it like I try to do with most things that come pre installed, unfortunately even after doing that it recently backed off and came out. I lost it on the road somewhere and my truck started sounding like garbage. Sounded like a gas beater truck. When I got home I took it off, wire wheeled it to take the coating off and welded the hole shut and flush because I don’t plan on using a pyrometer. Coated it with some high heat paint and threw it back on and haven’t had a problem. Could be because I didn’t do as much preventative maintenance as I should have or because I bought a cheaper less known brand.

So tip is keep an eye on that screw if you don’t do anything to it and or buy a cheaper EGR delete kit. Or you could do some preventative maintenance and put a strip of metal over it using the bolt holes to keep it in place OR some high heat loctite OR weld it if you don’t plan on using a pyrometer OR probably being the best option is to torque the set screw and tac weld it to keep it in there and have something easier to deal with if you change your mind on the pyrometer.

P.S. If someone could speak on behalf of a sinister kit or a different well known/more expensive kit that would be great because I am not totally sure if this was a problem because of me or because of the kit.

P.P.S. This kit is not bad by any means if anyone is looking to save some dollars. One thing I did notice was that plates threads didn’t go all the way through so if this were to happen to you then you don’t have to worry about the screw going through into your exhaust manifold or anywhere else. So that is where this kit scored some extra points with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Thanks BadMotherTrucker thanked for this post