Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

Quote Originally Posted by rugcag View Post
    Short update: I like both Carli and Thuren systems. I went with Thuren (so far) because of their customer service - they responded quickly to multiple questions and because of the ability to build the system as money allows. I installed front and rear springs and shocks. My test drive was a trip to Illinois. Ride is much better though the rear end is now what I describe as “swishy” (left to right movement) and “seesawee” (driver goes up when passenger goes down, and vice versa) on larger bumps. Thuren has indicated their rear track bar will alleviate the symptoms. If not, I may just switch to another system. Will keep updated.

What you are experiencing is pretty much the standard when you go with dedicated off road suspension. Your truck is being setup to take hits off road and flex vs on road stability. The cloud ride is to be expected.

If you didn't do a shock upgrade, make that your next target priority. For your use case, I'd strongly suggest some pintop Kings with remote reservoirs with adjustability.

Also, did you do radius arm drops?

2. Thanks watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Re: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

I like the cloud ride. Just not the excessive up and down motion. I am assuming that improved shocks will help. Currently have the Overlands. Plan is to get rear track bar in. Then front track bar and sway bar. Then save for the Kings. Thuren has been clear that those will have a huge effect for the positive.

I know I am doing this the hard way (not just taking it to a shop and having a complete system installed) but I like being able to make one change at a time so I can learn it’s effect on the truck.

Didn’t do radius arm drops. Recommended?

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

I like the cloud ride. Just not the excessive up and down motion. I am assuming that improved shocks will help. Currently have the Overlands. Plan is to get rear track bar in. Then front track bar and sway bar. Then save for the Kings. Thuren has been clear that those will have a huge effect for the positive.

I know I am doing this the hard way (not just taking it to a shop and having a complete system installed) but I like being able to make one change at a time so I can learn it’s effect on the truck.

Didn’t do radius arm drops. Recommended?
    Adjustable shocks will make a big difference. Kings would be the way to go for sure. And radius arms correct the suspension geometry following a lift, I used Carli on mine as part of my lift kit.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

So, you used Carli parts. What were others? Thuren? Something else?

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

So, you used Carli parts. What were others? Thuren? Something else?
    My entire lift kit was Carli. Including the Fox shocks, valved specifically for Carli by Fox.

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Short update: I like both Carli and Thuren systems. I went with Thuren (so far) because of their customer service - they responded quickly to multiple questions and because of the ability to build the system as money allows. I installed front and rear springs and shocks. My test drive was a trip to Illinois. Ride is much better though the rear end is now what I describe as “swishy” (left to right movement) and “seesawee” (driver goes up when passenger goes down, and vice versa) on larger bumps. Thuren has indicated their rear track bar will alleviate the symptoms. If not, I may just switch to another system. Will keep updated.

Install the the rear track bar and it will fix the wigwag feeling in the tail.

The thuren track bar bracket is a beast and was a pain to install.

If I had it to again I would’ve installed the Carli bracket as it’s much easier to install.

The Thuren bracket is a complete overkill for the type wheeling I do (slow speed).

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Sport , Thuren Suspension F&R, DRD tuned, AFE Intake, GDP S-3 Intake horn, Flo-Pro 4 Exhaust, 295/65/20 Goodyear Duratracs, 20x9 Method Standard +18 offset.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Do you think the Carli will be sufficient for my purpose (relatively slow wheeling)?

Also, are you happy with the Thuren setup?

Good and bad?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

You won't go wrong with either one, and yes I'm very happy with the Thuren setup.

I would buy Carli without any hesitation.

I bought Thuren as I was able to buy the parts I wanted when I wanted as my budget allowed.

I called a few dealers for Carli and couldn't find any that would sell me just a front pair of shocks and springs.

Having had numerous full size lifted trucks, I've gone all in on a complete kit only to find out I hated the spring rate and ride of the kit.

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Sport , Thuren Suspension F&R, DRD tuned, AFE Intake, GDP S-3 Intake horn, Flo-Pro 4 Exhaust, 295/65/20 Goodyear Duratracs, 20x9 Method Standard +18 offset.

16. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, rugcag thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12