Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

Sorry, but this will be a long post regarding a potential build - still exploring the possibilities. I have been a stalker on several forums but never posted until now.

I found igotacummins while looking for information regarding parts. This is my first post except for the introduction. I am looking for information re: improving the durability of the truck for long trips offload and on unimproved roads as well as suspension, tires, etc. Also, I don’t know if the build is possible but I need to get my “ducks in a row” before I determine if I can and should move forward with the project (limited budget). I’ll provide some background and then the reason for the build.

Background on reason for build: Veterans rarely have a chance to properly decompress when returning from deployment. Prior to roughly the middle of the last century military personnel deployed and returned, largely, as units on ships. Spending a long period of time together on a ship helped them to mentally prepare on the way and to readjust on the way back. Those times were important for their mental health. Flight has removed the need for personnel to be forced to spend time together in close quarters. For example: As a professor I had a student who had been in an Afghanistan combat zone 10 days prior to the first day of class. Naturally, the quick transition was difficult. We spent a lot of time talking after he learned I was a vet.

Reason for build: So, the purpose of the build will be to provide veterans time to get away from distractions and to decompress after returning to civilian life. I have a couple of veteran friends who will go with me on smaller, beginning, trips to explore if this is a worthwhile adventure.

Suspension: Must be reliable and improve factory ride. Many vets have injuries that can be worsened with rough suspensions on long drives. I would like to stay close to 3”. Goal is 37” or 40” tires (with AEV fender flares). Remember, the truck will be loaded with gear and probably pulling an off-road trailer. Must be able to handle rough roads at decent speeds (not race speeds). I have looked at the following suspension companies and I am looking for personal experiences or suggestions from dealers regarding the lifts. Thuren and Carli are top two choices at this point.

Thuren: I currently have 1” lift coils and Overland shocks. Will need to increase front lift and add rear airbags to support weight. Switch to Kings? Love their customer service.
    Carli: Backcountry or Pintop?
    AEV: I hear these are still a bit rough.
    Icon:
    Pure Performance:
    Kelderman: I hear these ride amazingly well but I’m unsure of the reliability in harsh environments that may be faced in places like Alaska. However, I like the idea of being able to lower the ride height on the highway and increase the load bearing potential of the truck. But the cost - OMG! The fancy system is beyond my price but I am wondering about the basic air bag system that I can fill with an air hose.

Other suspension options?

I will document the build and trips on this forum should this project become a reality. If not, I’ll happily keep driving her in her current state.

Also, feel free to comment regarding if you think this is a worthwhile endeavor or to ask other questions. If you would like information regarding my qualifications for the project ask.

2. Thanks watersupply189, AnOldBiker thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Western, AnOldBiker liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

Quote Originally Posted by rugcag View Post
    Sorry, but this will be a long post regarding a potential build - still exploring the possibilities. I have been a stalker on several forums but never posted until now.

I found igotacummins while looking for information regarding parts. This is my first post except for the introduction. I am looking for information re: improving the durability of the truck for long trips offload and on unimproved roads as well as suspension, tires, etc. Also, I don’t know if the build is possible but I need to get my “ducks in a row” before I determine if I can and should move forward with the project (limited budget). I’ll provide some background and then the reason for the build.

Background on reason for build: Veterans rarely have a chance to properly decompress when returning from deployment. Prior to roughly the middle of the last century military personnel deployed and returned, largely, as units on ships. Spending a long period of time together on a ship helped them to mentally prepare on the way and to readjust on the way back. Those times were important for their mental health. Flight has removed the need for personnel to be forced to spend time together in close quarters. For example: As a professor I had a student who had been in an Afghanistan combat zone 10 days prior to the first day of class. Naturally, the quick transition was difficult. We spent a lot of time talking after he learned I was a vet.

Reason for build: So, the purpose of the build will be to provide veterans time to get away from distractions and to decompress after returning to civilian life. I have a couple of veteran friends who will go with me on smaller, beginning, trips to explore if this is a worthwhile adventure.

Suspension: Must be reliable and improve factory ride. Many vets have injuries that can be worsened with rough suspensions on long drives. I would like to stay close to 3”. Goal is 37” or 40” tires (with AEV fender flares). Remember, the truck will be loaded with gear and probably pulling an off-road trailer. Must be able to handle rough roads at decent speeds (not race speeds). I have looked at the following suspension companies and I am looking for personal experiences or suggestions from dealers regarding the lifts. Thuren and Carli are top two choices at this point.

Thuren: I currently have 1” lift coils and Overland shocks. Will need to increase front lift and add rear airbags to support weight. Switch to Kings? Love their customer service.
    Carli: Backcountry or Pintop?
    AEV: I hear these are still a bit rough.
    Icon:
    Pure Performance:
    Kelderman: I hear these ride amazingly well but I’m unsure of the reliability in harsh environments that may be faced in places like Alaska. However, I like the idea of being able to lower the ride height on the highway and increase the load bearing potential of the truck. But the cost - OMG! The fancy system is beyond my price but I am wondering about the basic air bag system that I can fill with an air hose.

Other suspension options?

I will document the build and trips on this forum should this project become a reality. If not, I’ll happily keep driving her in her current state.

Also, feel free to comment regarding if you think this is a worthwhile endeavor or to ask other questions. If you would like information regarding my qualifications for the project ask.
    You write like an officer. LOL Welcome! I am a Vietnam vet. Are you unwinding from the constant swaying or just from the personnel compression? LOL There's a few of us around. Keyboard in one hand and Geritol in the other.

I'm not quite sure what you want. I admit at this age I don't comprehend as well either.

Would you mind telling us in a simple fashion what you are looking to accomplish? . Year would be nice too.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

4. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Sorry for long post...looking for suspension suggestions for a special purpose

EDIT: Ok @rugcag let me redo this post now that I have a keyboard LOL

So first of all, from one vet to another, thank you not just for your service but for what you're trying to do here. A lot of vets lack the outlet needed to square their minds away. I'm getting another truck solely because I miss being able to swing a turn off a hardball onto the dirt and just go hang out in the desert. Fast cars are fun, but they lack the escape of a proper truck.

To your point, and what I said originally, Carli pintop is the way to go. These trucks have significant ground clearance as is, however, for your desire to run 40s, I'd suggest doing a 6" lift. (Carli Unchained) and pair it with single or dual King reservoir shocks. This setup will give you the height needed for your desired tire size, plus give you plenty of adjustability for on and off road dynamics. You can also couple this build with Carli's radius arm kit, as well as the remainder of Carli's suspension upgrades.

Carli builds suspension for Baja trucks that catch several feet of air off jumps, their stuff will handle some wheeling. My Carli commuter w/ Fox IFP shocks had zero issues at 70+ on the dirt and was stable as could be.

However, Carli's products aren't cheap, especially if you do everything (strongly recommend their balljoints, btw); but it'll be the best kit (and last kit) you buy. Also, don't forget that running 40s is absolutely going to require a significant regear.

My bottom line advice, find a solid shop and spec out what you want and have your truck built. What you're looking for is a significant overhaul and really should be done by a shop. I see you're in Florida, but if it's worth it to you, I have a shop here in Arizona that is a Carli dealer & certified installer, they've built multiple Baja trucks (they built my last Ram) and they do offer benefits for veterans.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat more.

Last edited by RamIt; 06-06-2019 at 10:50 AM. Reason: On my computer now
    2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

6. Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yeah, I can get a little wordy. Especially late at night. To try to sum up what I am looking to accomplish - I'd like to take vets (especially disabled) on camping/adventure trips of one to two weeks in length.

So, I'm looking for a great riding, dependable suspension system to help accomplish that.

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, AnOldBiker liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    EDIT: Ok @rugcag let me redo this post now that I have a keyboard LOL

So first of all, from one vet to another, thank you not just for your service but for what you're trying to do here. A lot of vets lack the outlet needed to square their minds away. I'm getting another truck solely because I miss being able to swing a turn off a hardball onto the dirt and just go hang out in the desert. Fast cars are fun, but they lack the escape of a proper truck.

To your point, and what I said originally, Carli pintop is the way to go. These trucks have significant ground clearance as is, however, for your desire to run 40s, I'd suggest doing a 6" lift. (Carli Unchained) and pair it with single or dual King reservoir shocks. This setup will give you the height needed for your desired tire size, plus give you plenty of adjustability for on and off road dynamics. You can also couple this build with Carli's radius arm kit, as well as the remainder of Carli's suspension upgrades.

Carli builds suspension for Baja trucks that catch several feet of air off jumps, their stuff will handle some wheeling. My Carli commuter w/ Fox IFP shocks had zero issues at 70+ on the dirt and was stable as could be.

However, Carli's products aren't cheap, especially if you do everything (strongly recommend their balljoints, btw); but it'll be the best kit (and last kit) you buy. Also, don't forget that running 40s is absolutely going to require a significant regear.

My bottom line advice, find a solid shop and spec out what you want and have your truck built. What you're looking for is a significant overhaul and really should be done by a shop. I see you're in Florida, but if it's worth it to you, I have a shop here in Arizona that is a Carli dealer & certified installer, they've built multiple Baja trucks (they built my last Ram) and they do offer benefits for veterans.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat more.
    Yeah, I can get a little wordy. Especially late at night. To try to sum up what I am looking to accomplish - I'd like to take vets (especially disabled) on camping/adventure trips of one to two weeks in length.

So, I'm looking for a great riding, dependable suspension system to help accomplish that.
    Must be a Vet thing to be wordy. LOL

Yes Thanks for the service. (Good Point)

You're asking for a tall order to get a good ride. Watch your tire sizes. The more weight, the better the ride. Get 4 200 pounders and gear in the truck and it should smooth out some.

The air ride offered in the later year trucks may be a good shot.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

10. Thanks RamIt thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, RamIt, AnOldBiker liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    Must be a Vet thing to be wordy. LOL

Yes Thanks for the service. (Good Point)

You're asking for a tall order to get a good ride. Watch your tire sizes. The more weight, the better the ride. Get 4 200 pounders and gear in the truck and it should smooth out some.

The air ride offered in the later year trucks may be a good shot.
    Just gotta get that point across LOL

12. Likes watersupply189, Polaraco, AnOldBiker liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

And I thought I was wordy . Really though, thanks for the depth.

I just looked at the unchained setup. I had not seen it when looking at their systems before but I found it when I did a search. Impressive system. It doesn't look like there are certified installers close to me to I will have to travel anyway if I go that route. I'll keep you updated.

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Apparently I lost some weight and got down to 200 lbs. I'll tell the scales.

16. Likes watersupply189, RamIt liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

And I thought I was wordy . Really though, thanks for the depth.

I just looked at the unchained setup. I had not seen it when looking at their systems before but I found it when I did a search. Impressive system. It doesn't look like there are certified installers close to me to I will have to travel anyway if I go that route. I'll keep you updated.
    Let me know if I can help at all. Strapt Performance here in AZ gets trucks shipped from Canada to them for these kits so they can definitely handle logistics if you needed to go that route. However, there has to be an installer much closer to you.

2021 3500 Mega HO DRW

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Short update: I like both Carli and Thuren systems. I went with Thuren (so far) because of their customer service - they responded quickly to multiple questions and because of the ability to build the system as money allows. I installed front and rear springs and shocks. My test drive was a trip to Illinois. Ride is much better though the rear end is now what I describe as “swishy” (left to right movement) and “seesawee” (driver goes up when passenger goes down, and vice versa) on larger bumps. Thuren has indicated their rear track bar will alleviate the symptoms. If not, I may just switch to another system. Will keep updated.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast