Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Studs vs. Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Studs vs. Transmission

Both would be great but from a financial stand point, which is more important? Studs or some tranny upgrades (valve body, flex plate, etc.)? 2017 2500 68RFE running DRD tunes. Recently tuned with 5" TBE. I will definitely get studs at some point but wondering which should be my priority here. I've been running 90hp tune for daily driving. Don't tow much besides my boat ~once a week in the summer. Pretty much stick to brief rolling pulls once it's up to temp.

Another way I'm coming at this is: Which is going to be more expensive to fix if I let it go until it fails? Blown head gasket or let the transmission take a dump and then fix it with better parts once it starts to go bad? Also, which trans. parts are an absolute must upgrade?

I will get everything done eventually but it'll probably be over the course of a couple years, not all at once. Slowly add some power over time as well.

Thanks for advice.

2. Likes Rapidfire_70 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Studs vs. Transmission

My diesel mechanic told me to wait till everything goes. Everything is seated and broke in and working now. Said I shouldn’t have to worry much about the studs if not running more than 90hp and driving normal. Transmission will eventually need something but wait till then. That was his 2 cents. I’m sure there will be argument and other opinions but I just use mine as a daily driver and baby it.

2013 | Ram 2500 | 4 door | Short Bed | MM3 by DRD | S&B Cold Air Intake | Jamo 4inch TB Exhaust |Shibby Plugs | Supernova V4 LED Bulbs |

2013 Ram 2500, 4 door, short bed, MM3 by DRD, S&B Cold Air Intake, Jamo 4inch Exhaust with muffler and tip, Shibby Plugs, Supernova V4 LED headlight bulbs

4. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I would do the valve body, thermal by pass, steel filter screw and pan throw in new Mopar filters and ruffly 12 qts of +4 atf, then get the tune for increased line psi and you will be fine. Tuning on the newer truck run really good drive psi to boost psi so head studs aren't a necessity

6. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

You only need studs if you’re going to be pushing 35psi + regularly - if not then save your money. Trans is a million dollar question- reg trans tuning and smart driving will go a long way- just get into it when you’re already locked up

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks 6.7 Coal Train thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I would say trans. Studs are just insurance. But heres my question ? Not tryna hijack the thread. But im sure maybe you and others wonder. When do studs become neccessary if your running a 2nd gen swap? Because isnt the main reason for needing studs because of the drive pressure of VGT?

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

10. Likes 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Head studs are mosty needed for piss poor tuning with to much timing...LOL
    If I was gonna go through the time and money to do a 2nd gen swap then I would do studs at the same time.
    Seems nowadays your more likely to bend a rod then blow a head gasket.

12. Likes Dwelsh liked this post