Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding additives to diesel fuel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Adding additives to diesel fuel

I am a believer that fuel additives are kind of like snake oil. Or that is what I thought. When I found out that Cummins recommended Diesel Kleen I decided to try it. See link on Cummins site https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/node/3003 . I have a 2018 Ram Cummins purchased in March of 2019 with only about 3000 miles on it. I was very surprised at how the Diesel Kleen quieted down the engine. The diesel fuel here in Aiken, SC is only 40 cetane. The Diesel Kleen double dose adds 6 so the engine runs smoother. I have read that diesels like about 50 cetane to really be happy. Anyway, I tried this and it worked for me. I get a quieter smoother running happier engine along with all the other stuff that this does printed on the bottle (Ha!). Quiet interesting that Cummins recommends this. According to Power Services Company the manufacturer of Diesel Kleen, Cummins tested their products way beyond. Cummins approval were only done because of the results.

Another additive I am curious about is Hot Shot Secret EDT (everyday diesel treatment). Has anybody tried their products?

There must be some validity to some of these fuel additives. Anyone else tried something that worked?

2. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, BlackBart, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: Adding additives to diesel fuel

Some topics are hot spots for diesel owners. This is one. There are a few here that believe in nothing .. to all kinds of additives. Archoil is one that many prefer.

As for my old rig, it seems to run best on the old two stroke oil. I've added all kinds of additives over the years to see what they will do and it came up mainly nothing.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS, BlackBart, cumminsbadgirl thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Check out the Hot Shots Secrets products

6. Likes AnOldBiker, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

this is one of those topics just like what is the best oil, filter etc. I have always looked for that better or improver to what I own and drive. all of my 2nd gens I had I used a ash-less 2 stroke oil which made it smoother. not so much on the mpg.
    this Is my first 6.7 and I'm currently using Archoil in my fuel and oil. MPG seems to be up for freeway. I have used diesel kleen many times over the years. was it a wasteof money? Don't know as I was using it during cold temp months. it gave peace of mind. I do like that Archoil is very little needed for a tank and a bottle will likely last me a 18 months or so.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes AnOldBiker, walla2k5, cumminsbadgirl liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS View Post
    this is one of those topics just like what is the best oil, filter etc. I have always looked for that better or improver to what I own and drive. all of my 2nd gens I had I used a ash-less 2 stroke oil which made it smoother. not so much on the mpg.
    this Is my first 6.7 and I'm currently using Archoil in my fuel and oil. MPG seems to be up for freeway. I have used diesel kleen many times over the years. was it a wasteof money? Don't know as I was using it during cold temp months. it gave peace of mind. I do like that Archoil is very little needed for a tank and a bottle will likely last me a 18 months or so.

I know what oil filter ain’t worth a crap, and that’s Fram.

10. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdjonesiii View Post
    I am a believer that fuel additives are kind of like snake oil. Or that is what I thought. When I found out that Cummins recommended Diesel Kleen I decided to try it. See link on Cummins site https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/node/3003 . I have a 2018 Ram Cummins purchased in March of 2019 with only about 3000 miles on it. I was very surprised at how the Diesel Kleen quieted down the engine. The diesel fuel here in Aiken, SC is only 40 cetane. The Diesel Kleen double dose adds 6 so the engine runs smoother. I have read that diesels like about 50 cetane to really be happy. Anyway, I tried this and it worked for me. I get a quieter smoother running happier engine along with all the other stuff that this does printed on the bottle (Ha!). Quiet interesting that Cummins recommends this. According to Power Services Company the manufacturer of Diesel Kleen, Cummins tested their products way beyond. Cummins approval were only done because of the results.

Another additive I am curious about is Hot Shot Secret EDT (everyday diesel treatment). Has anybody tried their products?

There must be some validity to some of these fuel additives. Anyone else tried something that worked?

Yeah I dun had my shop foreman tell me ya oughta use sumthin, couldn’t say what though.

So how much of this Diesel Kleen should ya use and how often?

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Archoil user here- for the money its worth it to me. Pays for itself with mileage gain (not much but noticeable if recorded) and it does quiet down the motors a bit. Thank goodness for the 12v tune when you want to hear some knocking

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

13. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Abgunnar liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexNeck View Post
    Archoil user here- for the money its worth it to me. Pays for itself with mileage gain (not much but noticeable if recorded) and it does quiet down the motors a bit. Thank goodness for the 12v tune when you want to hear some knocking

Hell, speakin as one who drove trucks with 400 Cummins big cams, it’s when a Cummins STOPS makin noise is when I worry.

15. Likes Cumminstrokethis, walla2k5 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

On the bottle it gives directions. Add entire contents (16 ounces) to 40 gallons of diesel fuel. For maximum cetane boost and quicker fuel injector clean-ups, add entire contents (16 ounces) to 20 gallons of diesel fuel. I use 2 oz of diesel kleen per 3 gallons of fuel which is the double or performance dose. The normal dose is 1 oz per 3 gallons. Make sure you get the grey bottle. The white bottle is for winter.

17. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

I know talking about this stuff is a hot topic. The only thing I feel good about is that Cummins did all the talking on Diesel Kleen and recommended it. That kind of negates personal feelings about additives doesn't it? They did the testing and took the pictures. All I know is I tried it and I see differences in the way the Cummins runs.

19. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast