Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  67
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing with hitch reducer?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Towing with hitch reducer?

I'm going back to a TT from a FW and the ball mount, shank, and WDH bars (if even used) that I own are for a 2" class IV hitch. Is anyone using the factory supplied Class V hitch reducer to tow, with or without WD gear? I'm of the understanding the reducer does move you back to a class IV status, can be hard on the pin due to slop, but would like to hear some real-life experience. Thanks!

2013 Ram 6.7 3500 DRW CC, The Herd front end, RaceMe Ultra, 5" Turbo Back Flo-Pro, S&B CAI

2. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Towing with hitch reducer?

I can't provide much support here as I didn't tow with my 4th gen. However, I used the hitch reducer in conjunction with a hitch mounted D-ring for vehicle recovery.

Pulled a few vehicles, including a loaded suburban buried to the frame, out of sand without issue to the hitch or pin.

I'm sure someone else can offer better insight, but figured I'd share mine since recovery ops put a ton of load on parts.

4. Thanks Dan in MI thanked for this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I've used the reducer on mine to pull my RV with and without weight distribution hitch. My setup is around 8k dry. It was fine. There's really no other alternative that I was able to find. Granted I've only towed it 3 times about 75 miles per trip.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2013 Laramie 2500 CC. Warp tuning on RaceMe. 2 inch level w/35s.

6. Thanks Dan in MI thanked for this post
    Likes Dan in MI, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

if you are towing within spec of truck and the hitch you will be fine. Now not all hitch pins are the same. not the same material or rating. I would make sure you get a quality hitch pin.

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

8. Thanks Dan in MI, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes Dan in MI, watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The hitch for my camper as well as all of my pintle hitches use the 2” receiver.
    I honestly only have 1 hitch that is a 2 1/2”. I’ve never noticed any slop or play. Once it’s loaded it doesn’t seem to move a lot. I’ve towed up to 18k on an equipment trailer with a pintle and that 2 1/2” to 2” reducer. Never had a problem. The advantage of the class 5 hitch is the higher rating on the truck. Their good for 18k. Class 4 I believe, is rated for 10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thanks Dan in MI thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

"There's really no other alternative that I was able to find."

I think you can purchase a Class V (2 1/2") shank, which would eliminate the reducer and also boost to the Class V tow rating.

2013 Ram 6.7 3500 DRW CC, The Herd front end, RaceMe Ultra, 5" Turbo Back Flo-Pro, S&B CAI

12. Thanks Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Noneck, Polaraco liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thanks Clutch...good to know you've pulled that amount of weight

14. Thanks Clutch thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Clutch, walla2k5 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in MI View Post
    Thanks Clutch...good to know you've pulled that amount of weight
    I went across a scale on my my out of the plant. That was on a 16k rated trailer. But, all the pieces of my hitch assembly have ratings for this. There are 2" hitches that have much lower ratings.

16. Thanks Dan in MI, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Dan in MI, walla2k5 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I towed our 36'tt with the reducer. Right around 10k my 2" curt adjustable reciever is rated class v 16k. Thought about getting the same reciever in a 2.5" but almost $300 seems crazy when I have nothing to tow over 12k.

18. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve191145 View Post
    I towed our 36'tt with the reducer. Right around 10k my 2" curt adjustable reciever is rated class v 16k. Thought about getting the same reciever in a 2.5" but almost $300 seems crazy when I have nothing to tow over 12k.
    That's about where I'm at, 10k trailer, with shaft/ball mount rated to 14k, 1400 TW, and ball to 30k. My understanding is that by using the reducer, you are limited to 10k, and up to around 12k with WD gear. Do you or have you used WD bars with your set up?

20. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast