Likes Likes:  67
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Towing with hitch reducer?

1. Top Of Page | #21
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: Towing with hitch reducer?

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadgregg View Post
    Just ordered a 2 1/2 shank 8" drop couple days ago for my hitch , It fits my weight distribution set as it is reduced at the bolt setting https://www.ebay.com/itm/Curt-17132-....c100005.m1851
    edit

2. Thanks watersupply189, Noneck thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Noneck liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #22

User Info Menu

I pull my TT with a Class V to Class IV no WD due to new truck being DRW and never had an issue.

Trailer is about 6k.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #23

Quote Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
    I pull this 9K LB travel trailer with a hitch reducer, no prob so you should be fine.

I can't find a weight distribution hitch with a 2 1/2" shank so really have no choice.

My hitch pin did bend a little though.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...971818de15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Fyi to all e2 or equalizer you can buy the 2.5" shank from equalizer (fastway) and it will work ( you can email e2 [fastway] for confirmation that's what I did )

Quote Originally Posted by northstarfire0693 View Post
    I pull my TT with a Class V to Class IV no WD due to new truck being DRW and never had an issue.

Trailer is about 6k.
    If you read your manual it states over 5k trailer weight wdh is REQUIRED (bumper pull obviously)

If your not using it, and you are in an accident, the lawyers will love your case.......

6. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #24

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
    Fyi to all e2 or equalizer you can buy the 2.5" shank from equalizer (fastway) and it will work ( you can email e2 [fastway] for confirmation that's what I did )

If you read your manual it states over 5k trailer weight wdh is REQUIRED (bumper pull obviously)

If your not using it, and you are in an accident, the lawyers will love your case.......
    "Recommended" in mine. No WDH available to work with pintle hitches, and that's what my heavy trailers have. ZERO issues bumper towing at 14K with that setup.

8. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #25
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

I have experienced problems with my OEM Ram hitch on my 2500 Heavy Duty Ram.

I am towing 10k total weight and the hitch pin just started to get out of round from reducer movement.

I decided to purchase a new Curt heavy duty commercial 2 inch receiver hitch that can be attached to the truck just below the OEM 2.5 receiver.

The reason I will not remove the factory hitch is due to it being the last cross member frame piece on the frame and I believe it will more beneficial to leave it on the truck and only use 2.5 receivers in it from now on.

I removed the metal burs from the receiver and I can now remove the reducer that was stuck inside the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #26

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    "Recommended" in mine. No WDH available to work with pintle hitches, and that's what my heavy trailers have. ZERO issues bumper towing at 14K with that setup.
    I do stand corrected, I thought when I read my manual it stated required (as all others I have read did, ) but I was mistaken, sorry.

12. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #27

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

I know what your saying, but a using the WD hitch bars would be useless.

The trailer sits level and rides great.

The only thing I put on is the sway bar.

2006 2500 QC Laramie 5.9 (Sold in 2016). 2017 3500 DRW CC Laramie, Loaded. MM3 tuned by DRD. 4" SS by Jamo. 68REF, 4.10 Rears. (Sold). 2018 3500 DRW Longhorn CC AISIN 4.10's. On a good health care plan by DRD.

14. Likes watersupply189, timshooter40 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123