Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egr delete ?s

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Egr delete ?s

Ok so before I get started on egr delete do I need to drain any coolant from the truck? I know I will loose some when I remove the cooler. Or can I just top it off after the job is done? Any idea how much coolant I will loose? And what type our trucks use? Thank you in advance for any help. Not a lot of info on this out there I've noticed

2. Likes walla2k5 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Egr delete ?s

Quote Originally Posted by Opie15 View Post
    Ok so before I get started on egr delete do I need to drain any coolant from the truck? I know I will loose some when I remove the cooler. Or can I just top it off after the job is done? Any idea how much coolant I will loose? And what type our trucks use? Thank you in advance for any help. Not a lot of info on this out there I've noticed

Drainin a little wouldn’t be a bad idear, if anything just so ya don’t make a mess. Afterwards just top it off with some Zerex G05.

4. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15, walla2k5 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I drained about a gallon from the radiator. Did not lose any from the EGR cooler. Poured it back in when I was done and no issues.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

6. Thanks Opie15, BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5, Opie15 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post

Drainin a little wouldn’t be a bad idear, if anything just so ya don’t make a mess. Afterwards just top it off with some Zerex G05.
    I wouldn't put HOAT (Zerex G05) in there from what I've read. You need OAT. Color probably doesn't matter but Orange would be correct with OE I'm pretty sure.

8. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

I drained none, lost about half a gallon on the ground when I pulled the cooler. Topped up with some orange 50/50.

10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6.7 Coal Train View Post
    I wouldn't put HOAT (Zerex G05) in there from what I've read. You need OAT. Color probably doesn't matter but Orange would be correct with OE I'm pretty sure.

What’ve ya read, if ya don’t mind sharin?

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
    I drained about a gallon from the radiator. Did not lose any from the EGR cooler. Poured it back in when I was done and no issues.

Did ya break somethin open on or near the cooler when ya did that? Mighta broke the vacuum and got a lil bit out of it that way. Just channelin my inner plumber.

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post

What’ve ya read, if ya don’t mind sharin?
    Some quick googling can shed some more detail on it, but basically boils down to not mixing different kinds of coolant together in the system. Keep OAT with OAT, HOAT w/ HOAT, and IAT/IAT. That includes not throwing the green stuff in, even though it says you can mix with any color on the jug. Mixing can apparently cause it to turn to sludge and the coolant loses its longevity and protective qualities.

13. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

i pulled mine off without draining any coolant. lost a little bit. once i hooked up all the delete tubes i started the truck and cracked open the bleed pipe to bleed any air, got up to operating temp then shut it off and let cool down and just refilled the reservoir. no biggie

2012 RAM 3500 CCLB, G56, South Bend DD Ceramic, Deletes, MM3 with DRD Tunes, Headstuds, 4" Exhaust, 8" Mcgaughy's Long Arm Lift, 22.5 alcoas, 3.42 Gears, Recon Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light.

2008 RAM 3500 Mega, 68RFE, Leveling Kit, 35" Comforsers, Deletes, Headstuds, Smarty JR67 Pre-Emissions Law, Edge Insight, Airbags, AFE intake, 5" Exhaust.

15. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15, AK Bob liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Stick with OAT- it’s what comes from factory. HOAT are in SuperDuty and Duramax from factory I believe. The Best way I’ve read is how Ray with DRD does it and recommends which is symphon out all you can and put it in a clean container. Once you remove or swap parts then replace it with the fluid you pulled. Test drive it and check. In theory it should be the perfect level unless there’s a leak.

If if you want to just break it loose and have some drain feel free but fill the tank and test drive then check fluid level. It’ll burp and drain excess out the over flow tube if it’s over filled. Worst thing you can do is have too little

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

17. Thanks Opie15 thanked for this post
    Likes Opie15, 6.7 Coal Train liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast