Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grill Guard Question.

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Grill Guard Question.

I know this has probably been beat to death but I was unable to find anything, so if someone has a link to the info i'm looking for I'd be in much obliged. I am looking at several grill guards for a 2016 ram 2500. I.E. thunderstruck, ranch hand ect. I have seen mixed reviews all over the place about whether or not a guard will interfere with the front parking sensors. I paid a lot for this pickup and any and everything that came with this pickup I'd like to keep operational. After weighing the pro's and con's of just doing a full bumper replacement, the additional wear and tear done to steering components due to the increased weight of a replacement isn't worth it in my books. Anyone have any answers thoughts or ideas of what has worked? Or any information that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help guys!

If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out!

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Grill Guard Question.

As long as the guard doesn't sit in front of the sensors, you shouldn't have any issues.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I know this has probably been beat to death but I was unable to find anything, so if someone has a link to the info i'm looking for I'd be in much obliged. I am looking at several grill guards for a 2016 ram 2500. I.E. thunderstruck, ranch hand ect. I have seen mixed reviews all over the place about whether or not a guard will interfere with the front parking sensors. I paid a lot for this pickup and any and everything that came with this pickup I'd like to keep operational. After weighing the pro's and con's of just doing a full bumper replacement, the additional wear and tear done to steering components due to the increased weight of a replacement isn't worth it in my books. Anyone have any answers thoughts or ideas of what has worked? Or any information that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for your help guys!

As long as it's made for them it should be fine. Depending on which bumper you go with they don't really add to much more weight on the front end. If your looking at a full ranch hand bumper then yeah they do add some weight but they still arent too terrible. I have ran one for years and never had any out of the normal issues compared to not running one. I guess it depends on your daily commute and roads around you though as well.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Like Clayton I run a ranch hand full replacement on mine. The replacement models come with sensor holes so you would need to pull them from your stock bumper and push them into the new one. Some styles require some of the harnesses to be extended.

I’ll have a replacement on all my trucks moving forward. My last truck I hit several deer at 60+mph on 35s and had no damage but a slight dent from one on fog light retainer - only really noticeable since I knew it was there. That was a frontier full replacement.

I havent had to use it on my 4th gen yet and hope to keep the streak alive!

overall are they heavy? Yes, but the trucks are heavy to begin with and can handle it. You likely will see a decrease in MPG with a replacement since you’ll lose you’re airdam.

if you’re already running oversize tires and other mods you likely won’t really notice then

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

After hitting a deer I had a ranch hand installed on my 14’ 2500. It weighed about 400lbs. The body shop that installed it said the truck came down 3/4”. You could definitely feel the difference driving it. I chose not to install it on the 16 for 2 reasons. First, the bumper did not allow plow mounting. Second, I had rust bubbling under the powder coating in 1 Year. Typical for northeast with winter and salted roads. Guys around here will have the bumper sandblasted and painted or drive around looking like a pile of rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamIt View Post
    As long as the guard doesn't sit in front of the sensors, you shouldn't have any issues.

that what i thought as well but everyone I have talked to said that the sensors will pick up the guard due to the sensors wide area it can detect objects in, I ws told a replacement bumper was the only way to retain the sensors and get the protection i was looking for. Didn't know if this was just an up sale tactic or if there was some truth to the sensors picking up the guard.

If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out!

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    As long as it's made for them it should be fine. Depending on which bumper you go with they don't really add to much more weight on the front end. If your looking at a full ranch hand bumper then yeah they do add some weight but they still arent too terrible. I have ran one for years and never had any out of the normal issues compared to not running one. I guess it depends on your daily commute and roads around you though as well.

any idea what a stock bumper weighs?

14. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Depending on the quality of the guard it could possibly mess with the sensors for sure. If the replacement actually moves the sensors that is the better of the two for sure to make sure you do not get unwanted readings. They are stupid sensitive so make sure whoever does the install is careful.

If i had to guess 40-70 lbs rough estimate.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

16. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes Doc, watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    that what i thought as well but everyone I have talked to said that the sensors will pick up the guard due to the sensors wide area it can detect objects in, I ws told a replacement bumper was the only way to retain the sensors and get the protection i was looking for. Didn't know if this was just an up sale tactic or if there was some truth to the sensors picking up the guard.
    I've not heard this before. I won't say its out of the realm of possibility, but it seems unlikely. I'll do some digging and see what I can come up with for you.

18. Thanks Doc thanked for this post
    Likes Doc, watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

DDP, Ramit thanks for the info guys! appreciate the help!

20. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast