Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: 2012 6.7 Cummins turbo noise upgraded wheel

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

2012 6.7 Cummins turbo noise upgraded wheel

I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins. About a week ago I added a wicked wheel 2 and removed the “silencer ring.” I did some research and I couldn’t find any solid information on taking the silencer ring out saying yay or nay I figured I’d run with it since a friend of mine did the same thing and really liked it. Now that I’ve been driving it, it’s making some odd howling like noises it didn’t make before that I don’t really like at all. I’m at the point to where I wish I would have left it alone, I took it apart to try and see if I installed it wrong to see if anything was rubbing but it seems to be fine. I’m curious to if anyone has done such a thing and has heard odd noises?

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2012 6.7 Cummins turbo noise upgraded wheel

Not sure about your noise but that “silencer ring” it’s actually a velocity ring. It smooths out the transition into the turbo and actually helps with flow. Taking that ring out causes all sorts of turbulence in your inlet pipe and reduces flow. I’d put it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post
    Not sure about your noise but that “silencer ring” it’s actually a velocity ring. It smooths out the transition into the turbo and actually helps with flow. Taking that ring out causes all sorts of turbulence in your inlet pipe and reduces flow. I’d put it back in.

x2

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

X3

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 74Beeper View Post

That might not be an easy task with the drillin ya hafta do to git that thing out.

9. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post

That might not be an easy task with the drillin ya hafta do to git that thing out.
    It’s doable, I’ve done it.... Drill, tap and some little set screws with red lock tite.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

11. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Thank you all for the responses. I would put it back it but I ended up tweaking the thing trying to get it out.

Rookie mistake.

13. Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Trego View Post
    I have a 2012 6.7 Cummins. About a week ago I added a wicked wheel 2 and removed the “silencer ring.” I did some research and I couldn’t find any solid information on taking the silencer ring out saying yay or nay I figured I’d run with it since a friend of mine did the same thing and really liked it. Now that I’ve been driving it, it’s making some odd howling like noises it didn’t make before that I don’t really like at all. I’m at the point to where I wish I would have left it alone, I took it apart to try and see if I installed it wrong to see if anything was rubbing but it seems to be fine. I’m curious to if anyone has done such a thing and has heard odd noises?
    I'm sorry if you asked and I didn't see it. Removing the silencing ring is a Cummins puke Forum thing. If you can, put it back. Removing it disrupts the air flow. The sound is SUPPOSED to get sucked in! Once again. it's cool but impractical to performance. Any noticed improvements are only EGO.

I would ask the maker of the wheel your other question.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Did the "wicked wheel" help turbo spool up? I'm only thinking about this because my factory washer had a 1/4 of it break off and go into the inducer wheel and the blades to a beating. I don't know if it was like that when I bought the truck or happened after I purchased it. Thanks and let is know what the noise was.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

17. Likes watersupply189 liked this post