Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Aisin Hard Shifts

1. Top Of Page | #1

2018 Aisin Hard Shifts

Hello all,

Just wanted to let you know the issues that I am seeing with my truck. 2018 3500 SRW Aisin. Deleted and tuned from DRD (love it). I have been running exclusively on the 60hp tune. I have tested the 30 and 90hp tunes just to see if I have the same hard shifts (I do). Truck has just over 5000 miles.

The 2nd to 3rd shift is sometimes so harsh that you swear it’s going to break a U joint. It is definitely worse when the trans is hot. You can make it shift relatively good if you can manage the throttle. The biggest problem with that is the vehicle in front of you has to get out of the way?. If you just lightly use the peddle, it’s the worst. Heavy throttle is somewhat better but still harsh.

Talking with a local service manager the other day, he told me they had a 2018 3500 DRW in the shop with the same issues. He told me they had sent in some kind of service request to the factory because they couldn’t find anything with the tools they have. He said the odd thing is that the factory called back in under an hour and that they were sending a engineer to there location. I have not heard back from him yet on the results.

Im at a loss here because I just can’t stand driving this truck anymore. I am thinking about putting a built Aisin transmission in it, but I’m afraid it’s just going to shift the same without trans tuning. Is there a way to force a re learn on the stock trans? Service manager is telling me no.

Lauren

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: 2018 Aisin Hard Shifts

I have a 16 3500 with aisin and drw. I had mine reflashed a couple weeks ago for a 3-4 shift flare. My problem was fixed with the reflash. Quite a bit different than yours though. Did this happen after you tuned truck? Doesn’t reloading your tune force a relearn or is that just the 68RFE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Top Of Page | #3

The problem did show it face after the delete and tune. That being said, the truck that was at the dealership was bone stock. I’m not 100 percent sure if the tuning forces a relearn or not. I was hoping that the dealership could flash my TCM and that would force a relearn. There explanation to me was that if there is not an updated program (mine is the latest program so they say) the TCM will not let them flash.

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Im not familiar with the aisin but the 68 could be told to relearn manually by a dealer

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

As far As I know, there is no tuning available for the Aisin so it shouldn’t make any difference whether you have a tune loaded or not. The tune only effects the engine.

2017 Laramie Schlonghorn 2500, 4" coil spring, tubular radius arm Superlift, Sota REPR 20x10 -19 offset wheels, 35x13.50 Toyo Open Country R/T tires.. RaceME MM3 tuning by Double R Diesel, 5" Flo-Pro TBE no muffler, HPP EGR delete, GDP Mega-Flo Billet Throttle Valve Delete Airaid dry filter w/smooth inlet tube
    1974 Plymouth Roadrunner, 440ci R3 Siamese bore small block (700hp) Faceplated TKO 600 5 speed, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears
    1979 Lil Red Express (Currently doing a 12 valve Cummins swap)

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

2018 Aisin Hard Shifts

My 2016 Aisin with DRD emissions egrless shifts just fine - shifts the same as it did before the tunes were put on.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

7. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Something odd about this is, the way I understand it, the aisin trans has some feature that defuels the engine before a shift and refuels after. That gives the transmission longevity as well as a “lunky” feel. It seems as though this is not present in yours. Are there different tunes written for trucks with aisin versus 68RFE?

8. Top Of Page | #8

I do have the defuel also. The defuel is mostly felt when I use medium to heavy throttle from stop. The 2nd-3rd slam I am getting is most notable in the light throttle. I have been in a construction zone where we are going from say 10mph to 30mph. The truck is constantly shifting from 2nd to 3rd there. The shift is so harsh that I manually put the trans in second so it doesn’t shift. If I am in tow haul, the truck feels like it jumps off the ground during the shift. If I turn tow haul off, it’s just a hard slam. All the other shifts are smooth as can be. I can make the 2-3 shift relatively smooth, but you really have to work the speed and throttle.

9. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Return it back to stock and have the dealer figure it out. 2018 with mm3 leaves no trace so unless you told them they won't know it was tuned

10. Likes Clutch liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #10

Nice looking truck RamHunter!
    Mine is the exact same thing.... only it has a shifting problem?

12. Likes RamHunter18 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast