Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust Sound through intake

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust Sound through intake

Started hearing an exhaust sound tapping my intake cover doing a post trip inspection on the truck. Popped the cover off and slid a sheet of paper under the lid. At idle in park it was blowing the paper up, not sucking it down.. Not sure if that matters but it gets better..

I was hearing a howl and that got louder after turbo lag ( higher rpm around 50 -60 mph). This was coupled with a decent vibration that permeated the cab.

The sound was like I had put a beefy set of MTs on my truck and they were just humming.

But I dont have aggressive tread, and typically it's a quiet smooth ride.

I dont know if it's a hub, the turbo, transfer case, or maybe even an exhaust valve. Something isnt right with this truck and it's really got me stumped.

No codes, boost fine, trans temp sitting between 111 and 128, engine temp around 202, 2012 6.7 with egr delete, and a turbo back.

I fill at a high traffic pilot, and use Lucas oil fuel additive at every fill up.

Thoughts?

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Sound through intake

I’m not 100% sure but it sounds like you may have an injector go bad

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust Sound through intake

Quote Originally Posted by BitterCoalSpitter View Post
    Started hearing an exhaust sound tapping my intake cover doing a post trip inspection on the truck. Popped the cover off and slid a sheet of paper under the lid. At idle in park it was blowing the paper up, not sucking it down.. Not sure if that matters but it gets better..

I was hearing a howl and that got louder after turbo lag ( higher rpm around 50 -60 mph). This was coupled with a decent vibration that permeated the cab.

The sound was like I had put a beefy set of MTs on my truck and they were just humming.

But I dont have aggressive tread, and typically it's a quiet smooth ride.

I dont know if it's a hub, the turbo, transfer case, or maybe even an exhaust valve. Something isnt right with this truck and it's really got me stumped.

No codes, boost fine, trans temp sitting between 111 and 128, engine temp around 202, 2012 6.7 with egr delete, and a turbo back.

I fill at a high traffic pilot, and use Lucas oil fuel additive at every fill up.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by dmuney View Post
    I’m not 100% sure but it sounds like you may have an injector go bad
    Could be the VGT (Exhaust brake) hanging up. What are the EGT's like?

The proven solution is the Archoil Fuel system cleaner and then regular fuel treatments (6200).

Quite a few found out this works.

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC