Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Headlight upgrades

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Headlight upgrades

Well figured this may be considered a noob question. I’ve got a 2012 2500 with the single bulb in each headlight. Runs the H13. I keep looking at getting the sport style headlights from the newer trucks with the projectors but just can’t justify $500 a side before a bulb upgrade. Seen some guys talk about the diode dynamics but the don’t make an H13 LED option and I have always been told that HIDs in a projector housing cause a really poor light pattern and just blind everyone else. I’ve got a set of PIAA halogen bulbs but id like to find something brighter. Not sure if swapping to a quad housing would yield more options or not. Also while LEDs are cool I live in northern Idaho so I gotta make sure they produce at least enough heat to keep the snow/ice off in the winter. Any suggestions or products would be greatly appreciated

2018 Peterbilt 389, Cummins x15, 565hp/2050tq
    2012, 2500, level kit, 35x12.5x20s, some other odds and ends. Soon to be deleted if I can still get parts.....

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Headlight upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Fkrupin View Post
    Well figured this may be considered a noob question. I’ve got a 2012 2500 with the single bulb in each headlight. Runs the H13. I keep looking at getting the sport style headlights from the newer trucks with the projectors but just can’t justify $500 a side before a bulb upgrade. Seen some guys talk about the diode dynamics but the don’t make an H13 LED option and I have always been told that HIDs in a projector housing cause a really poor light pattern and just blind everyone else. I’ve got a set of PIAA halogen bulbs but id like to find something brighter. Not sure if swapping to a quad housing would yield more options or not. Also while LEDs are cool I live in northern Idaho so I gotta make sure they produce at least enough heat to keep the snow/ice off in the winter. Any suggestions or products would be greatly appreciated
    Just for reference TYC headlights are half that price. (https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...iABEgJaPfD_BwE)

Also, both HID & LED will cause major glare issues for oncoming drivers if not in the appropriate housing. If you would like to do a bulb upgrade, and do it the right way, I'd suggest purchasing those TYC's and sending them to Retro Shop (https://shop.retroshop.us/). Jeremy can build you whatever you want.

As far as bulb heat goes, while LED's may run cooler, they by no means are cold when on. LED bulbs contain built in heatsinks & fans as they still put out a significant amount of heat.