Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Exhaust brake

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Exhaust brake

Hi everyone , new to sie and first post. Bought a 2007 3500 6.7 cab and chassy, it had been deleted and having two problems I hope someone can help with.
    1- Check gauge light came on a while back -took alt in and was good, put in new batteries, changed a blown fuse and it worked. Yesterday light came on and got home shut the truck off and its dead. checked that same fuse but its good. any ideas?

2- Exhaust brake not working, have the light on switch when its on but its not working.

Thanks in advance!

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust brake

Turbo been swapped out?

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Exhaust brake

Welcome to the forum. For your electric problem: always check the simple things first. Battery connections, fuses, grounds and cables. Your alternator needs a battery voltage before you start engine, you could check for that. It seems on other vehicles I’ve looked at this was un-switched power straight from battery but it may be switched by ignition. Without this battery power your alternator will not charge. There is also a possibility that your alternator had an intermittent open or short and wasn’t faulty while it wasn’t at operating temp. My suggestion would be to check all the simple thing stated above, trickle charge your batteries, start the truck and test output of alternator with voltmeter and ammeter.
    For your exhaust brake. Blackbart asked if turbo was changed, that is very possible. Or it may be the vanes in the turbo are stuck from inactivity. I’ve been instructed (by technicians)to use the exhaust brake often to keep this from happening. Being your original post was from 5 days ago you may have this resolved by now. Could you provide update when you find the solutions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
    Likes walla2k5 liked this post