Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Dilemma time: 16 3500 CCLB...suspension/tires or tune/delete

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Dilemma time: 16 3500 CCLB...suspension/tires or tune/delete

Hello all, I figured I had a noob question and this is my third post so why not here. As I solidify this dilemma, I will post follow on questions in the correct parts of the forums.

I just purchased a 2016 3500 CCLB Laramie 4x4 with 48re trans. It came with the 5thwheel trailer group, air rear suspension, 220 alternator, and lots of other factory options. It has 125,000 miles on it and right now is being stored in Texas. It was super clean from top to bottom to include underneath and the engine compartment. Not like purposely detailed to be spotless, just not beaten to death on Texas dirt roads or drill roads. I also had my cousin go look at it and drive it and he said it drove great. Tight, fast for its size, and it rode well. He did the oil cap test and videoed the truck so I felt good buying it sight unseen since the dealer posted 57 pictures of it and he had all recalls (3 I think) completed at the dealer, changed the oil and filter, air filter, all the fuel filters, CCV filter and he showed me all of the receipts (all done at the Ram dealer).

I have have been looking through vendor websites and putting together my wish list for next year (I am military stationed overseas). My old 2011 3500 was deleted and rode pretty rough at times so I wanted to focus on my suspension and delete if it. So here is what I am looking at:

Delete wise, it seems everyone loves DRD and his MM3. I like his reasoning for using that tuner and it has lots of features I want all rolled into one device. I would likely do a TB 5” exhaust with muffler since that was what was on my old truck and I liked it along with tossing the EGR. I don’t want high performance. Just reliability and better pulling power.

Suspension wise, I am leaning towards a Thuren “build a kit” with the track bar, steering dampener, 2.0 king shocks and either 0.5” front springs or 1.75” front springs and 1” air suspension sensor extensions. It should be noted I will never go above a 35” tall tire and will likely stay close to stock since I will be towing a 15,000 5th wheel some day.

Here are my questions:
    1. Is my delete plan good, is it advisable to get the multiple tune option (why not have the ability for a little fun)?

2. Will I even notice a difference between the front springs as far as height (given tire choice) and I assume all noted above is compatible with rear air?

3. Given that these truck typically don’t see the same mpg improvements like I did with my 2011, does it make more sense to do the suspension work first or delete it first?

4. Lastly, is there anything else I need to think about doing first? Like add a Cat fuel filter, swap fluids, clean the grid heater (and/or delete it), one piece aluminum drive shaft, etc...

thanks in advance,
    Scott

2. Likes Yamahamod liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Dilemma time: 16 3500 CCLB...suspension/tires or tune/delete

My 17 3500 is new and I have 10k miles on it. Have had DRD egr-lessemission compliant tune now for 5kish miles. I have 34.5 inch tires and my freeway MPG is now 20-21
    I will be doing Thuren’s Suspension soon. Have used his stuff prior on other dodgegenerations. I have new components andsteering and I felt honestly that for me my suspension itch can wait because I wasn’tin
    A situation making me fix worn or questionable parts. So I did DRD tuning. If you are planning on putting on differentaftermarket wheels , look under tech section on Thuren’s website , he gives alot of good info on best offset and a ton of other suspension related info ondodge/ram trucks.
    How is your suspension components right now with that amountof Miles on truck. if nothing is bad andyou feel safe driving it. Get the tuning and delete so you can start lettingthat truck breathe and not suck in its own ***. I will be going with a 1.75 coils . I like the nose just a bit higher plus thiswill help when it comes time for a bumper.
    Check out the vendors on IGOT for the suspension goods. If you are not look at becoming a Lifetimemember and get a good discount with the vendors on here.
    Good luck

2017 WON TON CC LB 68AUTO
    Secret stuff that make it vroom and whistle better Thuren 2.25 w/2.0 Fox Resi

Justin
    Southern Oregon ( the Republican part)
    UNITEDSTATES MARINE CORPS 1993-2007
    No better friend, No better enemy.

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

If it has a 48re trans then it must already have some tuning done tho.

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Check out @Dude's Diesel Performance
    He's helped me a bunch with my sons '01.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2011 2500 Laramie CCSB 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 68RFE

6. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 4kids2dogs&RV View Post
    Check out @Dude's Diesel Performance
    He's helped me a bunch with my sons '01.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thank ya sir! Very much appreciated!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

8. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolbus View Post
    Hello all, I figured I had a noob question and this is my third post so why not here. As I solidify this dilemma, I will post follow on questions in the correct parts of the forums.

I just purchased a 2016 3500 CCLB Laramie 4x4 with 48re trans. It came with the 5thwheel trailer group, air rear suspension, 220 alternator, and lots of other factory options. It has 125,000 miles on it and right now is being stored in Texas. It was super clean from top to bottom to include underneath and the engine compartment. Not like purposely detailed to be spotless, just not beaten to death on Texas dirt roads or drill roads. I also had my cousin go look at it and drive it and he said it drove great. Tight, fast for its size, and it rode well. He did the oil cap test and videoed the truck so I felt good buying it sight unseen since the dealer posted 57 pictures of it and he had all recalls (3 I think) completed at the dealer, changed the oil and filter, air filter, all the fuel filters, CCV filter and he showed me all of the receipts (all done at the Ram dealer).

I have have been looking through vendor websites and putting together my wish list for next year (I am military stationed overseas). My old 2011 3500 was deleted and rode pretty rough at times so I wanted to focus on my suspension and delete if it. So here is what I am looking at:

Delete wise, it seems everyone loves DRD and his MM3. I like his reasoning for using that tuner and it has lots of features I want all rolled into one device. I would likely do a TB 5” exhaust with muffler since that was what was on my old truck and I liked it along with tossing the EGR. I don’t want high performance. Just reliability and better pulling power.

Suspension wise, I am leaning towards a Thuren “build a kit” with the track bar, steering dampener, 2.0 king shocks and either 0.5” front springs or 1.75” front springs and 1” air suspension sensor extensions. It should be noted I will never go above a 35” tall tire and will likely stay close to stock since I will be towing a 15,000 5th wheel some day.

Here are my questions:
    1. Is my delete plan good, is it advisable to get the multiple tune option (why not have the ability for a little fun)?

2. Will I even notice a difference between the front springs as far as height (given tire choice) and I assume all noted above is compatible with rear air?

3. Given that these truck typically don’t see the same mpg improvements like I did with my 2011, does it make more sense to do the suspension work first or delete it first?

4. Lastly, is there anything else I need to think about doing first? Like add a Cat fuel filter, swap fluids, clean the grid heater (and/or delete it), one piece aluminum drive shaft, etc...

thanks in advance,
    Scott
    Highly recommend @Dude's Diesel Performance

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cumminsdieselfreak View Post
    Highly recommend @Dude's Diesel Performance

I second that, great to do business with.

Brent
    2017 Ram 2500 Limited / 6.7 / 68RFE / BDS 8" Lift / 38 x 13.5 Trail Grapplers / 20 x 10 Hostile Wheels
    2020 Ram 2500 Tradesman / 6.7 / 68RFE
    1993 W250 LE / 5.9 12V / G360 - 5 Speed

11. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Lets see a picture of the truck first??

My 2018 3500 looked like something my grandpa would drive when I bought it new from the dealer so I did my suspension and tires first.
    I installed DRD Lite tuning at 12,000 miles. NO REGRETS!!

Attached Images Attached Images

13. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Yes , dudes diesel performance, is great to do business with. I third that!!

16 cummins Laramie longhorn, ccsb, 35x12.5x20 xplora mts ,tis wheels,fully deleted, pusher add a turbo kit,stainless diesel 475 5blade turbo over 63mm VGT delete turbo,manton springs, manton valve bridges,manton pushrods,ARP 625 headstuds,steedspeed t4i manifold , S&S 80% over injectors, thuren rear trackbar, kingspeed billet valve cover, revmax valve body billet plate, CCV reroute, pusher intake horn, thuren 2in level with king 2.5 front and rear, sway bar kit ,track bar and king steering damper. Air bags from airlift. 4" exhaust, fass lift pump,MM3,DRD tunes.pusher coolant reroute.