Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  108
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo upgrade for ultimate towing truck?

1. Top Of Page | #1

Turbo upgrade for ultimate towing truck?

High there new to the forums, I have a brand new G56 2018 Regular Cab 4x4 2500. Going to do an AEV prospector XL build with it, will be using it to tow my H1 Hummer trail vehicle. I also use it to tow for my business, got some MP 14 ply 41" tires for it (yes I know rough ride but they wont wear down fast and they can support the load I need over a standard C-D load range tire that big).

My question is I want to do some fun stuff to the engine, but nothing terribly serious. Just want to get it flowing air properly, keep the EGRs down, look good when I pop the hood, and run rock solid. I am a gear queer for high flow manifolds/pipes/turbos I don't know why I just love them. I purchased the lifetime membership so I can use DRD tuning. Anyways back to my question, assuming I do the basic bolt on mods, emissions delete, DRD tune, can I run a steed speed manifold w/ATS compound kit on the stock turbo and not have to do fuel upgrades? Or do I need to look at injectors / dual CP3 pump to be safe? Also if I keep the tune fairly low can I stay away from having to do head studs etc....

Also does my de-tuned 18 regular cab G56 have the same smaller turbo as the chassis cab trucks or is it the same as the regular 68RFE trucks just turned down? Also is the stock 18 turbo a T4 or T3 flange?

Also maybe I'm crazy but how does cramming twice the air volume through the stock turbo flange lower EGR's? Doesn't make sense to me that a compound turbo would lower the EGT's with the same size stock turbo bottleneck in the system but I guess I don't understand physics.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Turbo upgrade for ultimate towing truck?

Let's ask @Double R Diesel friend.

Join as a Lifetime Platinum Member Today

"The grass is greener where you water it"

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mk1spyder View Post
    High there new to the forums, I have a brand new G56 2018 Regular Cab 4x4 2500. Going to do an AEV prospector XL build with it, will be using it to tow my H1 Hummer trail vehicle. I also use it to tow for my business, got some MP 14 ply 41" tires for it (yes I know rough ride but they wont wear down fast and they can support the load I need over a standard C-D load range tire that big).

My question is I want to do some fun stuff to the engine, but nothing terribly serious. Just want to get it flowing air properly, keep the EGRs down, look good when I pop the hood, and run rock solid. I am a gear queer for high flow manifolds/pipes/turbos I don't know why I just love them. I purchased the lifetime membership so I can use DRD tuning. Anyways back to my question, assuming I do the basic bolt on mods, emissions delete, DRD tune, can I run a steed speed manifold w/ATS compound kit on the stock turbo and not have to do fuel upgrades? Or do I need to look at injectors / dual CP3 pump to be safe? Also if I keep the tune fairly low can I stay away from having to do head studs etc....

Also does my de-tuned 18 regular cab G56 have the same smaller turbo as the chassis cab trucks or is it the same as the regular 68RFE trucks just turned down? Also is the stock 18 turbo a T4 or T3 flange?

Also maybe I'm crazy but how does cramming twice the air volume through the stock turbo flange lower EGR's? Doesn't make sense to me that a compound turbo would lower the EGT's with the same size stock turbo bottleneck in the system but I guess I don't understand physics.
    Welcome friend!

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The stock turbo is neither T-3 or T-4. It has its own silly size. If you want to keep your stock exhaust brake, several companies make 'add a turbo' kits. To these you could also use a pulse manifold from BD or ATS to open up that manifold a little more. Or better yet, get a full twin setup with a better manifold and install an aftermarket exhaust brake with an air compressor to control it. The options are endless!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Welcome @mk1spyder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

6. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mk1spyder View Post

For that build I'd most definitely do head studs if it were mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

7. Top Of Page | #7

Can you do head studs by simply taking off the valve cover and inserting them one at a time? I'm sure there are instructions online that I could quit being lazy and look up.

If I do compound turbo over the stock one on a steed speed manifold do I need to upgrade fuel or am I good if I leave the crazy tunes alone?

8. Thanks Jaxonsram thanked for this post
  9. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

First off welcome to the forum bud.

For the headstuds you certainly can take them out one at a time and torque to spec. I recommend doing it in sequence still. (There are instructions with the arp kits)

If you do an add-a-turbo kit you will need to run bigger injectors and a larger CP3 injection pump as well as a lift pump because you will be flowing much more air. Now your typical low horsepower compound kits typically run about 600hp so you will need to build the transmission as well. The exhaust manifold you want if using a stock turbo is a T4i manifold.

If you have any questions on brand recommendations or fueling sizes feel free to ask.

Clayton over at @DudesDieselPerformance can definitely get you setup with everything you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

10. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    First off welcome to the forum bud.

For the headstuds you certainly can take them out one at a time and torque to spec. I recommend doing it in sequence still. (There are instructions with the arp kits)

If you do an add-a-turbo kit you will need to run bigger injectors and a larger CP3 injection pump as well as a lift pump because you will be flowing much more air. Now your typical low horsepower compound kits typically run about 600hp so you will need to build the transmission as well. The exhaust manifold you want if using a stock turbo is a T4i manifold.

If you have any questions on brand recommendations or fueling sizes feel free to ask.

Clayton over at @DudesDieselPerformance can definitely get you setup with everything you need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I agree with Mr. @Western Also, thank you so much for the mention my friend!

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

11. Thanks Western thanked for this post
  12. Top Of Page | #10

Really? Build the G56? I am not trying to go that extreme. I just want some mods I can build on down the road if I can't use a compound without doing all that other **** I'll just pass. I would rather run twin CP3 pumps than a bigger one, don't really want to get into injectors and such too much $$$.

13. Likes watersupply189, Jaxonsram, AnOldBiker liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast