Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68RFE and DRD Tunes Question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

68RFE and DRD Tunes Question

2012 Ram 2500, 65K miles. I just deleted my truck and use the MM3 with the DRD Lite tunes. The tunes have been installed for approximately 500 miles. Overall, VERY happy with the performance difference and the trans tuning is also an improvement overall, but I have one issue that concerns me.

When I am driving at a moderate speed 25-30 mph and I accelerate to pass a car (about 45-50 mph) the shifting and lockup works fine as long as I continue to have some throttle position above zero to maintain speed. When I accelerate in the above situation and I quickly go from accelerating to coasting, it will coast and then jerk, really hard. Hard to the point that I am concerned with breaking a u joint rear gear or something in the transmission.

I notice it most if I accelerate and then immediately coast on a downhill grade. It has happened 4 times now and I just want to make sure that it isn’t something to be concerned with.

If it helps, I did just read the long explanation by Ray on another thread where he explained the shift flair and TC lockup and it seems that may apply here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Re: 68RFE and DRD Tunes Question

I sent you a PM

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

4. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Did you follow the trans relearn process when you tuned?

6. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Following... I had this happen once or twice as well but not in quite some time. It almost felt like the trans started to shift in one direction and then quickly changed it mind.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | MM3 tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palehorse24 View Post
    2012 Ram 2500, 65K miles. I just deleted my truck and use the MM3 with the DRD Lite tunes. The tunes have been installed for approximately 500 miles. Overall, VERY happy with the performance difference and the trans tuning is also an improvement overall, but I have one issue that concerns me.

When I am driving at a moderate speed 25-30 mph and I accelerate to pass a car (about 45-50 mph) the shifting and lockup works fine as long as I continue to have some throttle position above zero to maintain speed. When I accelerate in the above situation and I quickly go from accelerating to coasting, it will coast and then jerk, really hard. Hard to the point that I am concerned with breaking a u joint rear gear or something in the transmission.

I notice it most if I accelerate and then immediately coast on a downhill grade. It has happened 4 times now and I just want to make sure that it isn’t something to be concerned with.

If it helps, I did just read the long explanation by Ray on another thread where he explained the shift flair and TC lockup and it seems that may apply here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

As another member stated, did you follow the trans learning process? @Double R Diesel may be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

10. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Anytime you tune a transmission to prevent slippage, it will shift more aggressively at times. If you happen to unload the drive train at the exact moment the trans shifts or the TCC locks, you will get a jerk or clunk if your drive train has some backlash. Remember this happens in an unloaded situation, so you are not gonna break anything. Bottom line it happens, but no worries.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel

The Cummins Whisperer! John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10...Tuning for the Heart and Soul.

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post
    Anytime you tune a transmission to prevent slippage, it will shift more aggressively at times. If you happen to unload the drive train at the exact moment the trans shifts or the TCC locks, you will get a jerk or clunk if your drive train has some backlash. Remember this happens in an unloaded situation, so you are not gonna break anything. Bottom line it happens, but no worries.

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    Ray,

I thought that was what was happening but wanted to make sure. I really appreciate your response. Your tunes are amazing and the only regret is not doing this sooner.

Thanks again,

Tony

13. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak, DRD, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Double R Diesel View Post

Ray,
    Double R Diesel
    Thanks Ray!!

Greg

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

15. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak, IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak, IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    Following... I had this happen once or twice as well but not in quite some time. It almost felt like the trans started to shift in one direction and then quickly changed it mind.

Greg
    Exactly how it feels in this case, also.

17. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

To say I followed the process is difficult to answer fully. There are several different "processes" that people recommend, but I think I generally followed the guidelines. I have definitely babied the truck and drove quite a bit in stop and go traffic in the first 50 miles or so. I stressed 1-6 gear up and down shifts, but I live in a small town and there was quite a bit of 5-10 mile highway trips to work that didn't exercise the up shifts and down shifts fully. Overall, I'm happy with the tunes and the transmission shifting is dramatically improved over stock. The severity of that jerking as it started to shift and then didn't, or unlocked the converter and quickly locked it back was concerning though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast