Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Oil Change

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Oil Change

Hey everybody.

Got an oil change question for you. I got a 2016 2500 and specs say you can do an oil change every 24,000km (15,000 miles). I only drive my truck about 20,000km (12,500m) a year. Obviously I want to get an an oil change more than once a year, but I don’t know what should be done. Precious vehicles it was either the mileage or 3 months, should I still follow that time frame for my truck?

Thanks,

Herb

2. Likes david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Change

Since your in Canada, I would change before the winter cold for sure then in late spring when it starts to go above 40*F.

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

4. Top Of Page | #3
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

I use 5w-40 year round without issue. Yes, without heavy towing constantly, you can go 15k each oil change. But if it pushing your nerves, once a year if fine. Now, if you heavy often, cut that in half.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

5. Thanks david3gen thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I use 5w-40 year round without issue. Yes, without heavy towing constantly, you can go 15k each oil change. But if it pushing your nerves, once a year if fine. Now, if you heavy often, cut that in half. I use bypass filters and run oil sample tests to tell me when to chance.

Some changes their oil too often and they only waste money that way. Do as recommended by the manufacture or lab results.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

7. Likes david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Yes sir i agree with Mr. Biker. I use Black Stone Labs to do my oil testing and that should give you a good idea of how your oil is doing to better help you determine how long you can go with an oil change.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

9. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Awesome. Thanks for the input.

11. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Oil can last way longer than most people think. It depends on your driving style, engine performance, filter performance, bypass filters or not, type of use, quality of chemicals they put in when producing it ... so so many variables ...

Jim

13. Likes david3gen, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post