Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: eRGR/tuning

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

eRGR/tuning

Ladies and gentlemen,

Just more questions if you please. As stated in another post, I am close to pulling the trigger and doing work om truck since the infamous EGR code raised it's ugly head. With that being said, I try and do my homework and get some idea about the process.

I have no experience with diesels. Mine is a 2012 4x4 crew cab with 57k on it. I have worked on the LS Chevy motors though. To make big power we had several options. Nitrous, supercharging or turbocharging. In every case, we used HP tuners to both tune the motors and delete what sensors needed to make the power get through our yearly vehicle inspection. Air and fuel in and a more open exhaust out made basically the power. Of course we took care of the detonation, timing and AFR. We all know these air nothing but pumps.

My main question is this. Why should someone remove the EGR system rather than just delete (or unplug) it?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: eRGR/tuning

Quote Originally Posted by fastbasser View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen,

Just more questions if you please. As stated in another post, I am close to pulling the trigger and doing work om truck since the infamous EGR code raised it's ugly head. With that being said, I try and do my homework and get some idea about the process.

I have no experience with diesels. Mine is a 2012 4x4 crew cab with 57k on it. I have worked on the LS Chevy motors though. To make big power we had several options. Nitrous, supercharging or turbocharging. In every case, we used HP tuners to both tune the motors and delete what sensors needed to make the power get through our yearly vehicle inspection. Air and fuel in and a more open exhaust out made basically the power. Of course we took care of the detonation, timing and AFR. We all know these air nothing but pumps.

My main question is this. Why should someone remove the EGR system rather than just delete (or unplug) it?

Thanks in advance for the replies.
    With modern day tuning you don't need to delete anything but the exhaust system. The EGR doesn't have to even be unplugged but some do it anyway AFTER they've tuned their truck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I believe with 2010-12 trucks the throttle valve still needs to be unplugged. Some guys remove the egr just to clean up the engine bay and prevent the chance of an egr cooler leak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2012 CCSB Saddle Brown Pearl... DRD tuned

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TH-64 View Post
    I believe with 2010-12 trucks the throttle valve still needs to be unplugged. Some guys remove the egr just to clean up the engine bay and prevent the chance of an egr cooler leak.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    This is very important!! Can't forget to unplug the throttle valve connector.

The rest of the EGR can be left as is.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post