Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone a small engine mechanic?

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Anyone a small engine mechanic?

Is anyone a small engine mechanic round here? Ive got a gravely 152z zero turn i just got on trade. It has 600 hrs. New electric fuel pump. Just cleaned the carb and fuel filter. And its like its lacking fuel. The flow is good up to the carb. It dont like to have the choke off. The idle will surge. And then when you idle it up all the way and engage the pto. It will run for a minute or so and then die out. Anyone have any ideas?

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Anyone a small engine mechanic?

Its a kawaski 23 hp engine

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Jets in the carb are probably gummed up from the ethanol gas, remove carb and clean it good and get some non ethanol gas and see how it does

4. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Jets in the carb are probably gummed up from the ethanol gas, remove carb and clean it good and get some non ethanol gas and see how it does
    I did haha unless i missed something. Which is possible. Ya know i cannot find a carb rebuild kit anywhere for this thing. One of the i think its called idle jet is messed up. Imma call a gravely dealer near me tomarrow and see if they can get me set up with some parts. Just completely rebuild the carb that way i know its good. In the back of my mind ive been thinking bad gas also so maybe if they dont have the parts i need ill drain the gas out and throw some 93 in it. I also checked the spark and im not getting a real nice blue spark more orange. Apparently these are bad about coils too. Ol boy i traded for this thing gave me the short end of the stick LOL.

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Check the price of a new carb. With Stihl, a new carb is about $10 more than a gasket set and you just have to swap it out.

6. Likes Dwelsh liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I did haha unless i missed something. Which is possible. Ya know i cannot find a carb rebuild kit anywhere for this thing. One of the i think its called idle jet is messed up. Imma call a gravely dealer near me tomarrow and see if they can get me set up with some parts. Just completely rebuild the carb that way i know its good. In the back of my mind ive been thinking bad gas also so maybe if they dont have the parts i need ill drain the gas out and throw some 93 in it. I also checked the spark and im not getting a real nice blue spark more orange. Apparently these are bad about coils too. Ol boy i traded for this thing gave me the short end of the stick LOL.
    You see those two brass shafts on each side of the float? They probably have an orifice in the upper end. Is there a mixture screw? The tiniest of holes matter on these. You have to look closely for them. @F350Cummins can tell you how good I am with those little carbs. How did that jet get so beat up? There are passages for those. You'll need to clean out the whole passage. Best to remove the juts. Secret, Use the right sized screw driver to take them out. I see it's had fuel decay in it. Going to need lots of attention. I have special drill set for those carbs to clean out the ports and so on. Suggest stripping the float and any other plastic type materials and soaking it in some acetone. Then start blowing lots of air through all those little holes. Get some strands of wire to chase the holes or better yet, a strand from a wire cable.

You can bring it over and I'll fix ya up. LOL

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

8. Likes Power247 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Polaraco View Post
    You see those two brass shafts on each side of the float? They probably have an orifice in the upper end. Is there a mixture screw? The tiniest of holes matter on these. You have to look closely for them. @F350Cummins can tell you how good I am with those little carbs. How did that jet get so beat up? There are passages for those. You'll need to clean out the whole passage. Best to remove the juts. Secret, Use the right sized screw driver to take them out. I see it's had fuel decay in it. Going to need lots of attention. I have special drill set for those carbs to clean out the ports and so on. Suggest stripping the float and any other plastic type materials and soaking it in some acetone. Then start blowing lots of air through all those little holes. Get some strands of wire to chase the holes or better yet, a strand from a wire cable.

You can bring it over and I'll fix ya up. LOL
    I couldnt find a mixture screw. Theres really no adjustments on the carb. Looking at the carb diagram. I missed 2 jets. But they are on the top of the carb and have these little freeze plug type deals covering them up. But i also didnt think of using wire to run through th4 holes. I appreciate it man. You sure you dont wanna come down to nc? Its been high 80s this week LOL. Thanks man

10. Likes Power247, RamHunter18 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I couldnt find a mixture screw. Theres really no adjustments on the carb. Looking at the carb diagram. I missed 2 jets. But they are on the top of the carb and have these little freeze plug type deals covering them up. But i also didnt think of using wire to run through th4 holes. I appreciate it man. You sure you dont wanna come down to nc? Its been high 80s this week LOL. Thanks man
    How was the float valve? They tend to gum up and stick in the bore also

12. Top Of Page | #9
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Once fixed, consider ... Every year, all gas equipment I have are drained, ran until it stops, aired dried and put up until next year. The collected gas is treated with Stay Build and stored in a proper container. Never have a problem with gum. With the newer fuels, problems with gaskets and gum has been hell for many.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

13. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    How was the float valve? They tend to gum up and stick in the bore also
    Its actually got a solenoid that mounts to the bowl on the carb that actuates to let fuel into the carb. I tested that yesterday and cleaned it also. It actuates with a powerprobe and also is getting voltage when the mower is running. So as far as i can tell its working the way it should. Cant see inside the carb to see whats going on though unfortunately LOL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast