Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How to fix these previous owner mods to pass ca smog

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

How to fix these previous owner mods to pass ca smog

So I need to get this to pass smog visual. Basically need to get an air box on it. I do have an extra carb sticker. Looks like it’s a mainifold from a 2nd gen 99.5-02. The cold side intercooler tube is a double 90 that looks like it’s going to be in the way. I’d like to find a way to stick a aftermarket carb air intake from afe, sb, kn or similar without having to redo the manifold, turbo, exhaust elbow, intercoooler tube. I know I’ll have to probably swap the intercooler tube and spin the turbo? Any ideals my smog is technically due today but I think I have 30 days. Hince the urgency. I bought the truck like this not realizing it and it had already had a smog, thought I could just toss on a afe carb intake and it would be good to go but the 3rd gen afe I bought does not line up at all.

Suggestions knowledge ideals help!!!! Fell free to point me in the right direction, I really can’t fathom how to fix this. Also it was my work truck but I’m back in college and can’t afford to spend a small fortune on this.

2. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: How to fix these previous owner mods to pass ca smog

Looks like they thru the stock parts away and replace it with tubing/hoses. Does it need a MAF for that year ? If so, through in a metal tube where you can weld on the proper fitting, add the MAF in it, then smog. You have to have all the parts to meet smog that works .. only. Then later get the good parts. Cal smog su%&s.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

3. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: How to fix these previous owner mods to pass ca smog

It should pass the emissions the way it is but I think it just won’t pass a visual bc there’s no air box. It can even be aftermarket but still needs an air box w carb sticker. My father in law is pretty savvy about smog rules he worked as a chp inspector for years but says I need a box. Anyone got any ideals on what aftermarket ones could work with little to no modification without changing a bunch of other parts. The sensors are still in the bay just tucked out of the way.