Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fuel question

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

fuel question

I'm talking to a local shop about having my truck deleted and tuned with the MM3 tuner. I asked the question about fuel economy increase. The shop owner said I should expect 3-5 mpg. Being I average about 12, that's not bad. My truck is my daily driver and used to pull my 38' 5th wheel.

I have heard and read that doing this work for economy is a waste of money. My experiences with other type vehicles have been most claims are greatly exaggerated.

What is the real scoop on this? As you guys know, it ain't cheap!

thanks

2. Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: fuel question

Quote Originally Posted by fastbasser View Post
    I'm talking to a local shop about having my truck deleted and tuned with the MM3 tuner. I asked the question about fuel economy increase. The shop owner said I should expect 3-5 mpg. Being I average about 12, that's not bad. My truck is my daily driver and used to pull my 38' 5th wheel.

I have heard and read that doing this work for economy is a waste of money. My experiences with other type vehicles have been most claims are greatly exaggerated.

thanks
    It all depends on where you live and a few other factors. No one truck will be the same but most do see anywhere between 1-5. Flat land is obviously where you will see the most gains for sure in MPG. It all depends on your take. If your doing it just for economy only do the math on how much you will save vs how much you spend and how long it would take you to earn that back. If your not worried about it and want an awesome fun truck to drive then with added MPG read those reviews to help make your decision as well

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Thanks cumminsdieselfreak thanked for this post
    Likes Power247, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Dude's Diesel Performance;143262]It all depends on where you live and a few other factors. No one truck will be the same but most do see anywhere between 1-5. Flat land is obviously where you will see the most gains for sure in MPG. It all depends on your take. If your doing it just for economy only do the math on how much you will save vs how much you spend and how long it would take you to earn that back. If your not worried about it and want an awesome fun truck to drive then with added MPG read those reviews to help make your decision as well[/QUOTE

I live in north central Florida. with a mountain here being 20' it's flat as hell. Towing I go north and average about 8 mpg.. As you know, 2 mpg increase here is a lot.. Being a speed freak my whole life, we all know it's a drug.

6. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

I have a customer with a 14 3500 drw aisin trans that is hooked to a 24 ft box trailer all the time he was averaging 9mpg runnning up and down the east coast after tuning with raceme (boxed tune) runing 60hp he has been getting 14mpg average over the last 2 years. Every truck is different tho

7. Likes Power247 liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #5
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Another food for thought:

Many has stated their engines; perform better .... AND ... runs cleaner !

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

9. Likes Power247, cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

thanks
    What are the details on your truck? Year? 2500/3500? Dually? All of those will play a factor along with driving style of course.

I personally saw 4mpg increase unloaded and 2mpg increase when hooked to the camper when I deleted my '12. That was with all else on the truck being stock.

Funny thing... When I upgraded to aftermarket wheels and 35s I lost 2mpgs when unloaded but towing mpgs stayed the same. Also, going from a 7000lb 27' camper to a 10,000lb 35' camper and towing mpgs stayed the same too. I say this proves that wind resistance is the bigger impact than the weight.

Regardless of the mpg gain, how the truck drives tuned over stock is the real reward and makes it worth every penny.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

Greg
    2019 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | 6.4 HEMI

11. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

thanks
    I'm claiming BS on that one. I have a 2012 deleted and I'm lucky I saw 1/2 mpg gain!

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

12. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Interesting how the results vary so much...

13. Likes Rapidfire_70 liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Power247 View Post
    What are the details on your truck? Year? 2500/3500? Dually? All of those will play a factor along with driving style of course.

I personally saw 4mpg increase unloaded and 2mpg increase when hooked to the camper when I deleted my '12. That was with all else on the truck being stock.

Funny thing... When I upgraded to aftermarket wheels and 35s I lost 2mpgs when unloaded but towing mpgs stayed the same. Also, going from a 7000lb 27' camper to a 10,000lb 35' camper and towing mpgs stayed the same too. I say this proves that wind resistance is the bigger impact than the weight.

Regardless of the mpg gain, how the truck drives tuned over stock is the real reward and makes it worth every penny.

Greg
    2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
    2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310
    My truck is a 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 auto with 57,000 on it. The infamous EGR code cam up when I scanned it. Replacing it is a joke. Taking the EGR valve off and cleaning it doesn't appear to be something I can't do. This just seems to be a good time to make a decision.

15. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, Power247 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

My truck is a 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 auto with 57,000 on it. The infamous EGR code cam up when I scanned it. Replacing it is a joke. Taking the EGR valve off and cleaning it doesn't appear to be something I can't do. This just seems to be a good time to make a decision.
    I think you know what needs to happen

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2018 Ram 2500 4x4 G56
    Romans 10:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    joe@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast