Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  48
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow ratings of Ram's 2500 and 3500

1. Top Of Page | #11

User Info Menu

Re: Tow ratings of Ram's 2500 and 3500

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    That only qualifies on a commercial vehicle, not a not for hire camper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 2500, MM3 tuned by DRD, leveled with 35x12.50R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x10 ATX wheels, Auxbeam LED's, factory air ride

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #12

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ipetrocco View Post
    That only qualifies on a commercial vehicle, not a not for hire camper.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Would still need a Class A license though, wouldn’t ya? Even if it’s a non-commercial license?

That’s what mosta them fellas git popped for IIRC, besides not bein tagged high enough.

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #13

User Info Menu

Most states have exemptions for RVs. You can drive any RV regardless of weight. Every state is different though. http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes 4kids2dogs&RV, watersupply189, McRod, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #14

User Info Menu

As long as you stay under 26,000 pounds, you are within the GCWR of the truck, and you are not making money pulling it you only need a regular licence. The rules are different for motor coaches, you can be up to 60,000 pounds I believe before it becomes a commercial licence situation. The latter kinda pisses me off too because those have air brakes which in my opinion should require them to get a CDL. I don't really understand why if it is for personal use or for profit that changes the type of licence you have to have, same rig on the same road.

2014 RAM 2500, MM3 tuned by DRD, leveled with 35x12.50R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x10 ATX wheels, Auxbeam LED's, factory air ride

8. Likes watersupply189, Power247, SyN liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #15

User Info Menu

Wondering what your trailer is? You want to go to 20k, which is 5th wheel territory, but you mention a sway bar? Just curious I guess, bc most "bumper pull" rigs don't approach that kind of weight.

As far as the 4500/5500 tow ratings, they may not increase towing capacity but usually do increase payload capacity over their 3500 counter parts.

2013 Ram 6.7 3500 DRW CC, The Herd front end, RaceMe Ultra, 5" Turbo Back Flo-Pro, S&B CAI

10. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #16

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in MI View Post
    Wondering what your trailer is? You want to go to 20k, which is 5th wheel territory, but you mention a sway bar? Just curious I guess, bc most "bumper pull" rigs don't approach that kind of weight.

As far as the 4500/5500 tow ratings, they may not increase towing capacity but usually do increase payload capacity over their 3500 counter parts.

And fer some stupid reason the chassis cabs are detuned.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #17

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    As long as you stay under 26,000 pounds, you are within the GCWR of the truck, and you are not making money pulling it you only need a regular licence. The rules are different for motor coaches, you can be up to 60,000 pounds I believe before it becomes a commercial licence situation. The latter kinda pisses me off too because those have air brakes which in my opinion should require them to get a CDL. I don't really understand why if it is for personal use or for profit that changes the type of licence you have to have, same rig on the same road.
    If you’re makin money they want some. Simple as that. I won’t get started on more LOL

2013 Ram 2500
    John 3:16 - Philippians 4:13

See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email me at:
    mike@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

14. Thanks BlackBart thanked for this post
  15. Top Of Page | #18

User Info Menu

In PA if added gvw's are above 26k you need a class A non-cdl for a camper or horse trailer plus combo reg on truck. Im in the process of getting my class a noncdl. I was educated by a dot inspection officer last year. Hahaha

16. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #19

User Info Menu

Btw my 2019 Ram 3500 dually has gvw 14,000 and my horse trailer is 16,600. And I currently have my truck at class 8 26k combo.

18. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #20
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

USDOT is in the process if reviewing all the rules regarding towing and being commercial. The first draft of the new regulations stipulated that anyone who towed a trailer and received any monetary value would need a commercial license. This created an uproar in the horse associations as USDOT stated that prize money won at shows and if someone split the expenses to get to the show you would be a commercial driver and not only have to get a commercial license but also put in one of those electronic tracking devices in your truck and adhere to all regulations.

This has been a major topic on most of the horse pages on Facebook.

The major horse associations have gotten USDOT to delay the implementation of these rules. But as a prior poster said, they want to get their share. My opinion regulators have to regulate and they way they get more power and bigger budgets is increasing regulations.

20. Thanks Clutch, watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast