Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  48
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tow ratings of Ram's 2500 and 3500

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Tow ratings of Ram's 2500 and 3500

Hello everyone,

I'll state the obvious first so we can get passed it. I'm new to the towing arena and screwed up. I thought a 2500 would be enough to tow a 15Klb load. I did not realize I was calculating it all wrong and not allowing for the trailer weight. So I am looking for ways to keep the truck I love so much as opposed to getting a new 3500.

Speaking of a 3500 I started looking just in case I had/have to go that way and on Ram's site you can type in your vin# and it will tell you what YOUR truck is rated at. I was shocked to say the least that not all 3500s' can pull 30K+ lbs. As a matter of fact there are more on the lots that are rated at 16-20K than anything else.

So then I looked at the 4500 and 5500 C&C options and the same thing! So just because you have a 3500 or larger does not mean it can pull more. I'm kind of puzzled how a 4500 or 5500 can tow less than a 3500, but I digress.

On with my situation, I have a 2018 2500 that I love and it's rated at 17,200lbs for towing. I would like to bump this number up to 20K if possible.

Here is what I have or think I know:
    I have a 68RFE with 3:42 gears. I know I will need to beef up the tranny. I'm thinking a RevMax 5-Stage TC, valve body, bypass, Flexplate, and the steel screw. If that is not enough I'll just buy the RevMax tranny for it.

On Ram's site it looks like all the trucks that have an option to switch to the 3:73 gears get an instant 2,000lb gain in their tow rating. That would bring me up to a 19K lb tow rating and if I add an airbag kit and a stiffer sway bar would that be enough?

I'm planning on using the MM3 EGRLESS tune from DRD. That will put me a bit over 400Hp and I'm not sure on the torque number yet.

I saw on one airbag site that says their kit will increase your tow rating 10% while other sites seem to shy away from making any such claim. I'm not sure if that's because it actually does not raise your tow rating or if they legally cannot make such a claim. If it's true (even if they cannot claim it) that would put me just over 20K lbs.

I greatly appreciate any and all help.
    Michael

2. Likes watersupply189, SyN liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Tow ratings of Ram's 2500 and 3500

First off congrats on the truck. Your thinking is correct for upgrading your truck. You say your truck can only tow 17,2000lbs and you would like to bump that number to 20,000lbs. The REAL bad news is you won't be legal from a DOT and insurance stand point.

What ever the factory sticker says, is the max, that's it legally. If you tow or haul more than 17,200lbs and have a serious accident and perhaps a fatality, DOT, WILL check out the whole towing setup and weight it.

From a legal stand point don't take that risk.

Now I know lots of people increase the towing capacity of there vehicles and that's fine as long as you don't tow more than the truck is rated. But again, lots of people are towing illegal.

Your best bet is to sell the truck and go with the 3500. Also keep in mind the more options the truck has the less it will tow. For example, an SLT will tow more than a Longhorn and everything in between.

It's the sad legal truth. I know some important people at Keystone RV, Morryde products and have been head of rallies and groups and these very topics come up all the time. Just be safe and have fun!

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

4. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Rapidfire_70, Clutch, SyN liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

As was said. It is impossible to legally change the tow rating of your vehicle no matter what. If you want to be legal get a 3500 with an Aisin transmission and call it a day.

If you are not worried about the numbers then I would just hook up the trailer and see how it does. If there is too much squat add airbags. If it feels low on power re-gear. Re gearing will help you transmission survive as well at higher loads. If you don't re-gear then at least lock out 6th gear when towing.

I would not suggest towing with any added power due to transmission concerns. If you delete just tow in the 30hp tune.
    I'd just leave the transmission alone for now unless it starts to give you trouble. If you have the money laying around an upgraded valve body from Revmax would be a good investment to easily eliminate some of the most obvious weak points. At least some of the overdrive clutch failures that are so common are due to crossleaks in the valve body causing the overdrive clutches to be partially engaged when they shouldn't be. These failures will occur even at stock power levels.

6. Thanks watersupply189, Oil Stain, MichaelCox, SyN thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Oil Stain, Yamahamod, SyN liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

My 18 2500 is 17100

8. Thanks MichaelCox thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Here is a tow list from Ram. It's not the one I was hoping for that listed all the models and there individual tow ratings. This is close enough, hope it helps you!

One for the 2500 and 3500.

Attached Files Attached Files

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

10. Thanks watersupply189, MichaelCox, BlackBart thanked for this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

16,430 lbs...

Certainly more than I’ll ever need.

12. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
    First off congrats on the truck. Your thinking is correct for upgrading your truck. You say your truck can only tow 17,2000lbs and you would like to bump that number to 20,000lbs. The REAL bad news is you won't be legal from a DOT and insurance stand point.

What ever the factory sticker says, is the max, that's it legally. If you tow or haul more than 17,200lbs and have a serious accident and perhaps a fatality, DOT, WILL check out the whole towing setup and weight it.

From a legal stand point don't take that risk.

Now I know lots of people increase the towing capacity of there vehicles and that's fine as long as you don't tow more than the truck is rated. But again, lots of people are towing illegal.

Your best bet is to sell the truck and go with the 3500. Also keep in mind the more options the truck has the less it will tow. For example, an SLT will tow more than a Longhorn and everything in between.

It's the sad legal truth. I know some important people at Keystone RV, Morryde products and have been head of rallies and groups and these very topics come up all the time. Just be safe and have fun!
    Another thought I would add is the cops just love hasslin pickup trucks with trailers at weigh stations. Over 10k worth of trailer will put you in CDL territory IIRC.

14. Likes watersupply189, Oil Stain liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBart View Post
    Another thought I would add is the cops just love hasslin pickup trucks with trailers at weigh stations. Over 10k worth of trailer will put you in CDL territory IIRC.
    Your trailer would have to weigh over 18,000 to get you to that territory, CDL is 26,001 and up. That being said there are weird rules when it comes to campers and RVs where you can be way over that weight and still legal with a standard license.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2014 RAM 2500, MM3 tuned by DRD, leveled with 35x12.50R18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x10 ATX wheels, Auxbeam LED's, factory air ride

16. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189, Clutch, McRod liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

I have a 44 foot toy hauler that weighs in at 18500 loaded. I live in it full time. I’ve towed it a lot and never been hassled at weigh stations or by the police. My current truck is rated to handle the weight but my last truck was a 2500 with firestone air bags. It towed the trailer ok but wasn’t as stable as the current duallly. I was constantly worried about trans temps wile towing in the Rockies with the 68RFE in my 2500. I’m glad I upgraded to my current set up.

2016 3500 Laramie Mega DRW Aisin 3.73

18. Likes watersupply189, Clutch, SyN liked this post
  19. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ipetrocco View Post
    Your trailer would have to weigh over 18,000 to get you to that territory, CDL is 26,001 and up. That being said there are weird rules when it comes to campers and RVs where you can be way over that weight and still legal with a standard license.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Well, I did find this...

AC5B21C1-8F2C-4F18-ACEF-D91677131561.jpeg
    Yer right though, I drive big trucks and can tell ya all about that sorta thing, but them RV’s and campers and stuff is all kinda fuzzy to me.

20. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast