Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20

Thread: Head studs

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Head studs

At what point do you need them if I junk the stock turbo, I literally watched someone I know make 691whp with their 5.9 with just a turbo. I know the stock turbo creates a lot of cylinder pressure but it just seems like I hear don’t go over 36 psi with the 6.7 I know they are different engines but dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Head studs

Quote Originally Posted by Cweaver View Post
    At what point do you need them if I junk the stock turbo, I literally watched someone I know make 691whp with their 5.9 with just a turbo. I know the stock turbo creates a lot of cylinder pressure but it just seems like I hear don’t go over 36 psi with the 6.7 I know they are different engines but dang.

36 psi is pushing the stock turbo to the limits. Yes it can go further but most of the time there will be failures around that area.

Depending on how hard you run the truck i would put headstuds with no turbo if you run on the higher tune settings all the time and like to play hard.

Others can and do push their luck but i would play it safe. What hp level are you looking at and how do you drive your truck?

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dude's Diesel Performance View Post
    36 psi is pushing the stock turbo to the limits. Yes it can go further but most of the time there will be failures around that area.

Depending on how hard you run the truck i would put headstuds with no turbo if you run on the higher tune settings all the time and like to play hard.

Others can and do push their luck but i would play it safe. What hp level are you looking at and how do you drive your truck?
    I have yet to race it and I’ve only done one like 2nd to shifting into 6th pull getting on the highway, I don’t beat on it b/c I’m afraid to lift the head. I do more short pulls then anything not at wide open most of the time so it stays around 32 to 33 psi. I keep my truck on the 200hp box tune on the race me b/c I get the best fuel mileage and it doesn’t seem to struggle with the Cruise on. I don’t want to make a lot of power but it would be nice to make around in the upper 600s

5. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cweaver View Post
    I have yet to race it and I’ve only done one like 2nd to shifting into 6th pull getting on the highway, I don’t beat on it b/c I’m afraid to lift the head. I do more short pulls then anything not at wide open most of the time so it stays around 32 to 33 psi. I keep my truck on the 200hp box tune on the race me b/c I get the best fuel mileage and it doesn’t seem to struggle with the Cruise on. I don’t want to make a lot of power but it would be nice to make around in the upper 600s

Even with short pulls, i would get studs if your gonna floor it. Better to be safe then sorry. Keeping it on the 200hp setting is fine, but when your punching it i would be cautious as thats a high power tune and things will start to let go eventually.

For your 600hp goal i would include the studs with that for sure.

Matthew 6:9-13, 2 Corinthians 5:20
    See what we are up to on:
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM
    Or Email us at:
    sales@ddpmotorsports.com
    www.ddpmotorsports.com

6. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Even with short pulls, i would get studs if your gonna floor it. Better to be safe then sorry. Keeping it on the 200hp setting is fine, but when your punching it i would be cautious as thats a high power tune and things will start to let go eventually.

Alright thanks for the info and yea I watch the boost most of the time it’s 3/4 throttle so it doesn’t shoot up as fast. But I figured I would ask after I watched someone make that much power after bolting on a s366 or 67 and tuning with efi live. Like I said I understand it’s a 5.9 and not a 6.7 LOL

7. Likes watersupply189, david3gen liked this post
  8. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Personally I'd add them now, it's like baking a cake certain ingredients have to be there first for the next steps to follow.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

9. Likes watersupply189, walla2k5 liked this post
  10. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

+1

11. Likes walla2k5, watersupply189 liked this post