Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headlight issue - need help

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

headlight issue - need help

I think i posted this in the wrong topic section the first time.

Can anyone help me with ideas to look into?

https://www.igotacummins.com/threads...t-switch-issue

2. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Old... But Still Here! AnOldBiker's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: headlight issue - need help

Does it look like anyone messed with the wiring harness ? Had this a few years back on my kids car, and the prior owner did electrical work messing with several systems. Had to replace two harnesses to fix.

Jim

2006 ~ 2500HD, Big Horn Edition, 5.9, 4x4, Q/Cab, 48RE, L/B, 3.73, S&B CAI & Snout, ProFlo 5" S/S exhaust, Smarty Touch, Oil ByPass Kit, 60 gal main tank, 110 gallon in-bed tank, XX-Fuel Filter System, Coolant Bypass Kit, Mag-Hytec front & rear end covers and trans pan, 285 x 70 x 17

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States, where men 'were' free." ~ Ronald Regan

4. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

There is the cab lights tapped into the orange and brown wire on the switch harness that controls the tow circuit
    And i noticed 7 tap-ins on the main harness near tje body co troler under the dash from what im guessing was the raceme tuner wiring for sotf. All wores are still intsct and have connection though, I tested them.

The headlihts have halos and secondary leds that are grounded at the frame, would that cause a open curcuit on the output side of the TIPM and cause the system issues on the output side yet still have signal on the input/ switch side?

6. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

The previous owner was the master diesel tech at the ram dealer so I assumed that these issues wouldnt be any deeper than a switch. I have since thought twice ofy assumption.

8. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 14CTD01 View Post
    The previous owner was the master diesel tech at the ram dealer so I assumed that these issues wouldnt be any deeper than a switch. I have since thought twice ofy assumption.
    Can't you go back and ask that tech? Sounds like that would be the easiest thing.

Do the headlights automatically come on when it gets dark out if the switch is on auto?

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

10. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Couldnt get an answer. He doesnt know why it does it. Sounds like he never noticed it or doesnt want to say.

Headlight switch has no impact on light. I can unplug the switch and throw it away and the lights still only come on with the key on and go off as soon as the key goes from "on".

12. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

You said you have full LED headlights installed. Have you tried installing the original halogen bulbs back to see if that might be your issue? These canBUS system on our trucks are very finicky.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

13. Thanks Oil Stain thanked for this post
    Likes Oil Stain liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

That CAN stuff could be your issue.

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

15. Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  16. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

It had halogens in it when i bought and and did the same thing. Plus i pulled these exact bulbs from my 2013 before trading it in and they didnt have any issues.
    The only differance is these housings have halos and led bars wired in and are grounded to the frame by each light. Ill take the grounds off tomorrow and see what that does.

Ive tried un hooking the cab lights thinking that was the cause but it didnt change anything.
    I read somewhere that the "limp mode" for the headlight circuit only turns on when the key is on, but havent been anle to confirm that or if the TIPM has a seperate circuit for output vs switch input and if one or the other would be killed if an open was detected.

17. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 14CTD01 View Post
    It had halogens in it when i bought and and did the same thing. Plus i pulled these exact bulbs from my 2013 before trading it in and they didnt have any issues.
    The only differance is these housings have halos and led bars wired in and are grounded to the frame by each light. Ill take the grounds off tomorrow and see what that does.

Ive tried un hooking the cab lights thinking that was the cause but it didnt change anything.
    I read somewhere that the "limp mode" for the headlight circuit only turns on when the key is on, but havent been anle to confirm that or if the TIPM has a seperate circuit for output vs switch input and if one or the other would be killed if an open was detected.
    Oh so you have after market headlights. Sounds like a wire is crossed somewhere. Keep us updated on what you find.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab ,G56

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast