Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Refresh Cost

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Trans Refresh Cost

Hey everyone, I'm looking to get this 2500
    https://www.hoyleautosalesnc.com/200...C_28558883.veh

Since I'm from the DMAX world, I'm still trying to learn all of the little things that need some attention. I keep reading about transmission issues if adding power. I plan on getting a CSP5 (love EFI tuning), but I wanted to address the trans.... When people are saying they get theirs rebuilt (or refreshed), how much *roughly* do they run?? I know with a DMAX the Allison for a rebuild is about 5k. Thanks for any info!

2. Likes pieromj30, david3gen liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Trans Refresh Cost

Welcome @contenderv07

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2006 dodge ram 2500 laramie crew cab 5.9 cummins. 10x20 et-24 fuel offroad with 275.60r20 tires. bully dog gt tuner. 48re ATS built tranny triple disc converter ATS oilpan and transgo quick shifter. 4" turbo back exhaust. brembo discs and pads

4. Thanks contenderv07 thanked for this post
    Likes cumminsdieselfreak liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Welcome friend!

First off with all due respect to you and anyone else, I would reconsider the year of the truck in question. 2007.5 thru 2009 were not the golden years for those trucks due to the early emissions woes. Yes 2010 thru 2012 has the same issues, but not as bad as the earlier years. The soot buildup is really bad. The mileage on the truck is at a point even if you delete it now still has a lot of soot.

But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure there are loads of owners that don't have many issues, but they are far and few between.

This post is just to help you understand the early years, since your a DMAX guy.

Transmission issues can range from weak 5-6th gear clutch packs to torque converter issues. It really falls on the previous owner on how they drove that truck.

Just throwing out my $0.02...

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
    Welcome friend!

First off with all due respect to you and anyone else, I would reconsider the year of the truck in question. 2007.5 thru 2009 were not the golden years for those trucks due to the early emissions woes. Yes 2010 thru 2012 has the same issues, but not as bad as the earlier years. The soot buildup is really bad. The mileage on the truck is at a point even if you delete it now still has a lot of soot.

But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure there are loads of owners that don't have many issues, but they are far and few between.

This post is just to help you understand the early years, since your a DMAX guy.

Transmission issues can range from weak 5-6th gear clutch packs to torque converter issues. It really falls on the previous owner on how they drove that truck.

Just throwing out my $0.02...
    awesome that is perfect!! I wasn't sold on this one but I did want to get a general consensus of how much it would be roughly. So in regards to the years what were some good ones?? I know the LBZ for dmax is the holy grail, lly were good but had heat issues, etc... but like I said before, still learning the cummins years. Thanks again for the info

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

2015-up IMHO.

2013 and 2014 had a lot of software updates for some reason. Again, most of the software issues should be pretty much done now anyway. They all have software and recalls at times, even the other brands.

Some are crazy sometimes. I had a Camaro where a recall was for an improper brake fuild lable. What I'm saying is that not all recalls are major safety issues.

You will find the right truck, just take your time and don't put in to much stock as to what the salesman says.

Again, IMHO buying a used diesel from any brand can be a crap shoot unless you have known the previous owner. There's no telling what has be done whether or not it's been deleted or such. Just because any truck has been deleted doesn't always equate to a perfect truck.

2012 Ram 3500 4x4, Dually, Longhorn, 4:10 Max Tow, Steering Brace, Suspension Maxx End Links, Bilstein Shocks,
    Snow Plow Prep Pkg (Yep... bought it in Florida. I always think that's funny!).

8. Top Of Page | #6
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
    2015-up IMHO.

2013 and 2014 had a lot of software updates for some reason. Again, most of the software issues should be pretty much done now anyway. They all have software and recalls at times, even the other brands.

Some are crazy sometimes. I had a Camaro where a recall was for an improper brake fuild lable. What I'm saying is that not all recalls are major safety issues.

You will find the right truck, just take your time and don't put in to much stock as to what the salesman says.

Again, IMHO buying a used diesel from any brand can be a crap shoot unless you have known the previous owner. There's no telling what has be done whether or not it's been deleted or such. Just because any truck has been deleted doesn't always equate to a perfect truck.
    ugh can't swing that cost. I need to be in the 24-26k range

9. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by contenderv07 View Post

Since I'm from the DMAX world, I'm still trying to learn all of the little things that need some attention. I keep reading about transmission issues if adding power. I plan on getting a CSP5 (love EFI tuning), but I wanted to address the trans.... When people are saying they get theirs rebuilt (or refreshed), how much *roughly* do they run?? I know with a DMAX the Allison for a rebuild is about 5k. Thanks for any info!
    Get on cargurus.com that’s where I found my truck they have all kinds from 6.7s to 5.9s I found mine local in high point but some you may have to travel for the right deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Likes contenderv07 liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

I had an 07.5 megacab. Once i got it tuned it had some torque converter chatter in the higher gears when the boost would build. I had an aftermarket warranty and had the trans rebuilt. It was like 2600$ with kevlar clutches i believe and not really a good billet converter but a billet converter. ( still had converter chatter after) . But i had a rebuilt trans for a few hundred bucks so i wasnt complaining and it was only with the higher hp tunes. Im sure you could have a pretty stout trans built for 5 grand. Thats a clean truck i like it.

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

12. Top Of Page | #9
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dwelsh View Post
    I had an 07.5 megacab. Once i got it tuned it had some torque converter chatter in the higher gears when the boost would build. I had an aftermarket warranty and had the trans rebuilt. It was like 2600$ with kevlar clutches i believe and not really a good billet converter but a billet converter. ( still had converter chatter after) . But i had a rebuilt trans for a few hundred bucks so i wasnt complaining and it was only with the higher hp tunes. Im sure you could have a pretty stout trans built for 5 grand. Thats a clean truck i like it.
    Yea the first thing I would do is delete it. Thank goodness I live in NC that doesn’t do emissions testing.
    This is the other one I’m looking at but those wheels would have to go
    https://www.handoautosales.com/2006-...3/Details.aspx

13. Thanks IGOTACUMMINS thanked for this post
    Likes IGOTACUMMINS liked this post
  14. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Yea the first thing I would do is delete it. Thank goodness I live in NC that doesn’t do emissions testing.
    This is the other one I’m looking at but those wheels would have to go
    https://www.handoautosales.com/2006-...3/Details.aspx
    I like the gray one better. Just my opinion though. Where you located in nc? Ive bought alot and been to a bunch of dealers in nc haha

2016 2500 slt. 4x4. 20x10 moto metal 970s on 305-55-20. Fully deleted with mm3. 5 inch tbe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast