Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Oil Type in BW44-46 Transfer Case

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Question Oil Type in BW44-46 Transfer Case

Ram shop told me my transfer case is shotskee and quoted me $3,200 to repair it , so I did some looking and found a used one with 47k miles on it(700$ to my door). I'm wanting to install it in my truck this week and wanting to make sure it's got new fresh oil in it and I've been trying to find what type of oil this thing takes. Been having a hard time tracking it down. From what I've been able to ready the Borg Warner's take a special oil only available through a Mopar shop? Guess I'm just looking for clarification if this is true and I'm on the right track. Really rather just got to the auto parts store and get it there, hate paying dealer prices on parts.

2. Likes walla2k5, AK Bob liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Type in BW44-46 Transfer Case

I have flushed and filled mine several times with ATF+4.

2012 Ram 2500, 4x4, 3.73, 5” lift, 35" tires, Pure Performance TB, 5100s, 4" FloPro TBE, EGR valve/cooler/throttle delete, S&B CAI, GDP heater delete, GDP S2 air horn, Bestop Powerboards, RaceME Ultra Warp Tuning by DRD

4. Likes cumminsdieselfreak, walla2k5, SyN, AK Bob liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Re: Oil Type in BW44-46 Transfer Case

Just my one sided opinion: A few of Us within another Ram forum a few years ago (When I still owned my 2014 Ram 5.7L -4WD with the Yuppie BW44-44 transfer case - sent in a VOA sample of the very expensive Mopar BW44-44 transfer case ATF to Polaris Labs.

Results come back as nothing but a clone of DexIII ATF - Nothing special stood out to them... Only thing was a decent amount of Friction Modifiers - Possibly for the Clutch Design - Similar to a limited slip rearend & it's small dose of Friction additive needed...

One thing to remember is the BW44-44 transfer case was designed for the Auto 4WD feature within the 1/2 tons - (Clutch driven gear drive)...
    I actually have witnessed this transfer case being filled many times over with Valvoline Max-life ATF for over 200K miles (Mostly towing a 3K-5Klb end closed trailer) full of auto parts being delivered via Rain / Sleet / Snow with never a issue... Ram EcoDiesel

The BW44-46 & 47 are a Chain gear drive - They are not in anyway shape or form sensitive to any one type of ATF... I prefer a 100% Synthetic ATF due to the heat that is generated with extended use...

SyN Disclaimer: Like I have stated before: If you haven't invested a decent amount of research into a matter like this - Just run the recommend fluid...

2017 Bighorn (Delmonico Red & Chrome) CC-HD2500-4WD-6.7L-3:42w/Anti-Spin
    Oil: -SHELL- Rotella T6 5W-40 & T5 15W-40 combo w/LF16035
    68RFE/BW44-46/Power Steering: -Red Line- C+ ATF
    Frontend & Rearend: -Red Line- SAE GL-5 75W-90NS
    Many Small Mods: Interior & Exterior
    Mileage: 28,541

6. Likes Power247, AK Bob liked this post