Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Building Auto Transmission

1. Top Of Page | #1
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

Question Building Auto Transmission

Hey guys, I've currently got some work done to my truck, (4" Exhaust, Airdog 150, Smarty, Intake) and I plan on putting bigger injectors in it sometime, but I want to have a transmission that will hold together through the HP I'll be putting out. Right now I run my Smarty on SW#3, but I want to be able to put it on 9 with no problems. What am I looking at to upgrade to be able to do this? I don't plan on pulling it, other than hauling a few trailers and a camper.

2. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

there's numerous options on the trans. At a minimum, I would put a high end torque converter and valve body mod. The rest you can do later. A trans package costs around 5K. I'll do my own at that cost

2003- 3500 RWD Automatic.
    S & B intake, BD Intercooler, Pusher Air Horn, MM3 Double R Tuning, Turbo Timer, electric Flex-a-lite fans, FASS 95,
    50 HP tips, upgrade to 351 turbo, 3.42 gears, Twin air compressors, air bags, Remote dual oil filters, Hellwig sway bar, Front Winch. Home made Fuel Heater, BD Exhaust brake with Torque Lock. Tons of TLC

3. Thanks jzajicek thanked for this post
    Likes jzajicek liked this post
  4. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I'd do a BD flex plate or a billet one of some sort the stock ones tend to warp and crack.

5. Thanks jzajicek thanked for this post
    Likes jzajicek liked this post
  6. Top Of Page | #4
    Basic Member

User Info Menu

i would get the flexplate, convertor (triple disk at least), valvebody, and a billet input, along with a master rebuild kit from someone reputable. (ATS, Jeff Garmon, Suncoast, Dave Goerend etc) That will hold up to just about anything doing normal driving. If you start Dragging/Pulling, i would do a billet output. Intermediates are usually pretty stout and are good till around 700hp. If ya go north you need to start looking at a Competition built tranny.

7. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

yeah was quoted about 4700-5k and that was coming out of the US