Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Hopefully the last post about this noise until I fix it...

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

Hopefully the last post about this noise until I fix it...

https://imgur.com/a/Ltry8AG

That is a link to a video I got tonight of the noise I've been trying to describe on my truck. Sorry if there's something against posting links, but it's the easiest way I could get the video from my phone without a computer.

Anyways, my fiance drove the truck through some back roads with trees on either side which really helps echo the sound so you can hear it over the exhaust and tires. I finally got a good clip from the passenger seat (it's just as loud on the drivers side) of this weird hissing/spinning/something noise. It's been happening more and more when holding steady speeds, still especially bad at 45MPH which we were doing in the video.

I also found out today that the noise doesn't happen if I keep the truck "locked" in a lower gear (4th gear to prevent shifting to 5th at 45MPH)...which is odd? Right? I thought I had it fixed for about 30 seconds after checking the bolts holding the intake plenum onto the engine were tight because someone suggested checking those since I've checked darn near every other bolt and clamp related to the air and exhaust systems. But nope, still there....

Any help or suggestions at all are more than welcome. And this should be the last time I post about this annoying noise until I figure out what it is and fix it so you guys have an answer if it ever comes up for someone else. I apologize again for basically spamming about this noise on my truck, but it's usually those little details that drive us insane right?

2. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2

User Info Menu

Re: Hopefully the last post about this noise until I fix it...

Does it change with boost pressure? What have you done to it again? Tuned? Full delete?

4. Likes watersupply189, skiffer liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

Sounds like some kind of bearing going out. Really hard to pinpoint exactly what! Being a 2018 let the dealership deal with it under warranty.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

2016 RAM 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab
    Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

6. Likes skiffer liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RamHunter18 View Post
    Does it change with boost pressure? What have you done to it again? Tuned? Full delete?
    Tuned and deleted, S&B CAI, 5" TBE, FASS 95 GPH.
    The noise doesn't change with boost pressure in the way of more pressure = more weird noise, no. It does change with drive pressure though, like right after a gear shift when the turbo barely spools down and then catches back up. But like I said, its loudest at 45 MPH when I'm barely giving it throttle to maintain speed, but if I keep the truck in a lower gear to avoid shifting the noise doesn't happen. Like it's very strongly related to drive pressure I'm pretty sure.

I agree a dry bearing is kind of what it sounds like @watersupply189 I just can't figure out what bearing or anything would match up with all of these symptoms. I'd love to throw it at the dealer and let them figure it out, we'll just have to see if they'll touch my truck after the things I've done to it LOL

8. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes watersupply189 liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiffer View Post
    Tuned and deleted, S&B CAI, 5" TBE, FASS 95 GPH.
    The noise doesn't change with boost pressure in the way of more pressure = more weird noise, no. It does change with drive pressure though, like right after a gear shift when the turbo barely spools down and then catches back up. But like I said, its loudest at 45 MPH when I'm barely giving it throttle to maintain speed, but if I keep the truck in a lower gear to avoid shifting the noise doesn't happen. Like it's very strongly related to drive pressure I'm pretty sure.

I agree a dry bearing is kind of what it sounds like @watersupply189 I just can't figure out what bearing or anything would match up with all of these symptoms. I'd love to throw it at the dealer and let them figure it out, we'll just have to see if they'll touch my truck after the things I've done to it LOL
    I lucked up and found a (cough cough) delete “friendly” dealership.
    Hopefully you will be able also.
    You know a friend of mine has a 6.7 power stroke and his did that exact same sound. Turns out his exhaust manifold had a crack in it and was creating the whistle type noise at certain RPM’s.

2016 Ram Laramie 3500, G56, 6.7, MM3 by Double R Diesel, Rough Country Leveling, 35x12.50 Nitto G2, HID headlights and fogs plus many many other add ons.....

Cummins,G56, Rough Country level, Morimoto LED fog lights, LED headlights, Lund Attitude Steps sprayed with Line-X, DRL's Activated, 35x12.50R18 Falken Wildpeak ATW3, Fuel Vapor Wheels Matte Black w/Dark Tint, A.R.E. Truck cap and swing boxes

10. Thanks skiffer thanked for this post
    Likes skiffer, david3gen liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by watersupply189 View Post
    I lucked up and found a (cough cough) delete “friendly” dealership.
    Hopefully you will be able also.
    You know a friend of mine has a 6.7 power stroke and his did that exact same sound. Turns out his exhaust manifold had a crack in it and was creating the whistle type noise at certain RPM’s.

Hmm...I'm gonna go take a look around the exhaust manifold and check that out. Maybe that's the culprit? And that would definitely give me reason enough to go 2nd gen swap LOL. Either way I have to drive back to NH tonight from VA so I'm just really hoping it isn't anything major that's gonna fail while I'm cruising the highway before I can go find a dealership that will look at it.

12. Thanks watersupply189 thanked for this post
    Likes david3gen, watersupply189 liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiffer View Post
    Hmm...I'm gonna go take a look around the exhaust manifold and check that out. Maybe that's the culprit? And that would definitely give me reason enough to go 2nd gen swap LOL. Either way I have to drive back to NH tonight from VA so I'm just really hoping it isn't anything major that's gonna fail while I'm cruising the highway before I can go find a dealership that will look at it.
    Let us know what you find and have a safe trip friend.

14. Thanks skiffer thanked for this post